What's new

Pros cons of device binding - ZenWiFi AX XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

in2ndo

Regular Contributor
I’m playing with a new mesh ZenWiFi AX XT8 system and wondering if you guys can share experiences with device binding to the router or node?

Thanks.

You can try by yourself. If the device keep reconnecting, then you remove the device from binding.

With AX86U and XT8 AIMesh2.0 setups, I have found binding to only be needed for some IoT devices. All my other devices play nicely when Roaming Assistant does it's thing, but my cheapy IoT devices will get stuck on whatever they see first and won't move. (Maybe lack of 802.11f or one of the other 802.11xx roaming protocols isn't supported on the IoT devices?)

I have noticed too though where I need to reboot one of the nodes - the devices connected to it will reconnect to another node while it reboots, and sometimes it takes a while before they connect back to the "correct" node. If they are bound though, those devices configure themselves back to the "correct" node much faster.

My BluRay DVD player will connect to the first node that it sees when the mesh comes up (router node), and stick with that connection. The router node is all the way across the house from the player. Kinda marginal, but it doesn't roam, which I suppose makes sense for a stationary DVD player *smile*. So I've bound it to the node in the room that it's in, and that makes things work better...at least the sense of order appeals to me, makes it do what I think that it should do on it's own *smile*.

Works perfectly for us, by the way, sticks to the node in the room that it's in like glue.

I have 7 smart tv's.....they are all bound to the closest node (bound thru phone App)...works fine.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online