What's new

Protected Management Frames

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

john9527

Part of the Furniture
Thought I'd pass on something I learned with respect to Protected Management Frames for wireless. I was running with a setting of 'Capable' under the belief that the setting was either a work/not work setting with respect to each client. In debugging a periodic loss of access to one of my clients I found out this is not true. This particular client would connect and stay connected via wifi, but would periodically become unresponsive on the network. Changing the Protected Management Frames setting to 'Disabled' cleared things up and the client is now 100% stable.

So, if you are having problems with loss of access on wireless, another thing I would recommend is to try with the the PMF setting disabled.

PS...the client in question was Win10 using an ASUS AC55 USB wireless adapter. Router running my LTS fork.

Thought I'd pass on something I learned with respect to Protected Management Frames for wireless. I was running with a setting of 'Capable' under the belief that the setting was either a work/not work setting with respect to each client. In debugging a periodic loss of access to one of my clients I found out this is not true. This particular client would connect and stay connected via wifi, but would periodically become unresponsive on the network. Changing the Protected Management Frames setting to 'Disabled' cleared things up and the client is now 100% stable.

So, if you are having problems with loss of access on wireless, another thing I would recommend is to try with the the PMF setting disabled.

PS...the client in question was Win10 using an ASUS AC55 USB wireless adapter. Router running my LTS fork.
Thanks.

Do you have different recommended settings other than default for the more adventurous among us? Or do your default LTS fork settings represent the latest and greatest you have found?

I just checked and found PMF set to "Disabled" by default.

I just checked and found PMF set to "Disabled" by default.
I had changed it for my setup since Protected Management Frames is a mitigation for the Kr00k vulnerability. But it seems as if some clients aren't fully compatible even if they appear to be.

Thanks.

Do you have different recommended settings other than default for the more adventurous among us? Or do your default LTS fork settings represent the latest and greatest you have found?
I have pretty much tried to make the defaults the best for the general use case. But I'll go through my personal settings and see what I may have changed.

I am wondering how to check if the client device supports PMF. For Windows devices it is easy, but I don't know how to check Android phones.

I had changed it for my setup since Protected Management Frames is a mitigation for the Kr00k vulnerability. But it seems as if some clients aren't fully compatible even if they appear to be.
Problem is I think its a requirement of WPA3.

Also Harmony hub hates it being on required (completely incompatible). Seems my Ptouch printer does not like it either.

Last edited:
It's disabled in my 1900 by default I believe as I never changed it. I realize no WPA3 option.

EDIT: more secure with it enabled if your devices supports it I guess...

Last edited:
My FireTV 4k won't work with it enabled.

EDIT: "Capable" is OK with everything I use so far, all Win10 stuff is fine.

Last edited:
EDIT: "Capable" is OK with everything I use so far, all Win10 stuff is fine.
Yes....this PC is one that didn't get a lot of use (probably the first time I turned it on in a month to try out Channels DVR server). Everything else was working fine with the Capable setting. Just this specific combination (had me going crazy until I remembered I had made the change to Capable after the last time I used it).

Reactions: Gar
Yes....this PC is one that didn't get a lot of use (probably the first time I turned it on in a month to try out Channels DVR server). Everything else was working fine with the Capable setting. Just this specific combination (had me going crazy until I remembered I had made the change to Capable after the last time I used it).
So "capable" was enough to cause trouble, it didn't have to be set to "enabled". I guess that's why it's disabled by default!

Can confirm "Capable" cause troubles.
DLink DAP1620 WiFi extender with FW 1.5 and Samsung Tab3 won't connect.
Default "Disabled" is not set by mistake.

I have a couple of cheap USB 2.0 wi-fi cards based on an older RealTek / MediaTek chipsets (81xx IIRC) ('n' standard, 2.4Ghz only) which have not had new drivers for a long time. These don't like PMF set to capable.... it does 'connect' but it doesn't work - DHCP will timeout and the os will give itself an APIP address. Also discovered when I turned on a rarely used system.
I kept PMF enabled and purchased a couple of new cheap dongles.
I have a couple of Firestick 4k devices and they work with PMF = capable.

i wish i had found this thread before.

i also did 2 things
disable PMF
fixed 2.4ghz bandwidth to 40mhz

evertything stable now for 4 days in a row.
only a couple of wifi camera's which did disconnect but after changing the bandwidth to 1024 those are stable as well

Looks like this is the same issue that's causing me trouble for few months now.
I've replaced for a new router asus AXE7800 to replace my RT-5400 thinking it could be the cause of these issues.

Disabling PMF from Capable and everything seems stable now. Thanks.

Wish I heard about this earlier. I too had similar issues with it being set to capable that were driving me wild on my axe16000 and now the GT-BE98 pro that I replaced it with. Ever since I set it to disabled I've had zero issues and everything running much better. Some of my devices simply would not connect being set to capable. Putting 2.4 ghz to 40 mhz as well seems to run better. Thanks for sharing this.

Disabling PMF on my router (RT-AX88U Pro) didn't change it on the AIMesh nodes (x1 RT-AX88U and x2 TUF-AX5400) where it remained as Capable.
On the AIMesh nodes I had to disable it from nvram and reboot them.

nvram set wl_mfp=0
nvram commit
reboot

i checked my aimesh node(RT-AC86U) and on that one wl_mfp currently is 0 so in my situation it did follow the router settings