ProtonVPN using NextDNS - can it be done?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

MvW

I recently reverted back from Merlin to stock and am using ProtonVPN. Now I've recently discovered NextDNS for parental controls and paid for a year but I can't seem to get the two to work together. As soon as I set up a VPN tunnel to ProtonVPN my WAN DNS settings are ignored and ProtonVPN applies it's own DNS. Is there a workaround? Or should I go back to Asuswrt-Merlin (if it is even possible there).?

Please advice.

Best regards,
Marco

eibgrad

Very Senior Member
The fact the server is pushing its own DNS server(s) is likely the problem.

I don't use the oem/stock firmware, but if it's like Merlin, the OpenVPN client either has an "Accept DNS configuration" option which needs to be set to Disabled, or if that isn't available, if it has a custom config field, try adding the following.

Code:
pull-filter ignore "dhcp-option DNS"

Either one of these does the same thing, which is tells the OpenVPN client to ignore any DNS servers pushed by the OpenVPN server.

Reactions: MvW

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!