What's new

Proxy through VPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ameel

New Around Here
Hi All,

I'm new on the forum.

Query
What's the best way to setup an authenticated proxy server on Asuswrt-Merlin that routes requests some ports from any devices on the LAN through an existing VPN client connection (which was setup through web-gui)?

Premise
1. I have my setup Asuswrt-Merlin router as a VPN client (ie. it connects to VPN Server). I have configured it so that only selected IP connect through the VPN.
2. I want some ports on any devices on the LAN to connect through the VPN client through the router, while in the default all other connections do not use VPN client

Attempt
I tried installing squid proxy using opkg, but could not figure out how to route certain ports to the VPN client connection.

Cheers

Hi All,

I'm new on the forum.

Query
What's the best way to setup an authenticated proxy server on Asuswrt-Merlin that routes requests some ports from any devices on the LAN through an existing VPN client connection (which was setup through web-gui)?

Premise
1. I have my setup Asuswrt-Merlin router as a VPN client (ie. it connects to VPN Server). I have configured it so that only selected IP connect through the VPN.
2. I want some ports on any devices on the LAN to connect through the VPN client through the router, while in the default all other connections do not use VPN client

Attempt
I tried installing squid proxy using opkg, but could not figure out how to route certain ports to the VPN client connection.

Cheers
VPN Client Selective Routing using the GUI only supports IP source/destinations.

However, using scripts, (see Wiki VPN Selective Port Routing) you should be able to route your nominated ports via the VPN.

VPN Client Selective Routing using the GUI only supports IP source/destinations.

However, using scripts, (see Wiki VPN Selective Port Routing) you should be able to route your nominated ports via the VPN.

Hey Martineau,

Thank you for the reply. It's not quite what I am after.

I'm hoping to have a setup working as follows:
ASUS router connects to a VPN server on VPNClient 1.
ASUS router has a proxy server installed and running, with port 3128 open
Any client on network can setup proxy configuration with ASUS routher IP and port 3128, and all traffic connected to the proxy server goes through VPN

Any ideas how I can do this?

AT the moment I have setup squid proxy server on ASUS router, opened port 3128. I tried using "outgoing_tcp_address" and "outgoing_udp_address", but traffic is not going through VPN

Hey Martineau,

Thank you for the reply. It's not quite what I am after.

I'm hoping to have a setup working as follows:
ASUS router connects to a VPN server on VPNClient 1.
ASUS router has a proxy server installed and running, with port 3128 open
Any client on network can setup proxy configuration with ASUS routher IP and port 3128, and all traffic connected to the proxy server goes through VPN

Any ideas how I can do this?

AT the moment I have setup squid proxy server on ASUS router, opened port 3128. I tried using "outgoing_tcp_address" and "outgoing_udp_address", but traffic is not going through VPN
You should be able to use
Code:
tcp_outgoing_address 192.168.1.xxx
tcp_outgoing_address 192.168.1.xxx
where xxx is outside of your DHCP pool, then simply define 192.168.1.xxx in the VPN Client Selective Routing GUI.

Edit 1:

I used ifconfig br0:0 192.168.0.251 and that creates a virtual network.

I setup proxy to the router located at 192.168.0.1, with port 3128. The squid proxy seems to get the incoming traffic. Squid proxy has tcp_otgoing_address 192.168.0.251. However, I get the following from squid access.log:
Code:
1587870550.236  29998 192.168.0.74 TCP_MISS/000 0 CONNECT www.google.com:443 - NONE/- -

----
Hey Martineau,

Thank you for your reply. That sounds like an interesting way. I amended my DHCP pool, however it doesn't seem to work. squid log says:

Code:
2020/04/26 13:24:36| commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 6 to 192.168.0.251:0: (99) Cannot assign requested address
FATAL: Could not create a DNS socket
Squid Cache (Version 2.7.STABLE9): Terminated abnormally.

Last edited: