What's new

PS4 cannot download sw updates on LAN AC-5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

a4xrbj1

New Around Here
Hi,

I couldn't find a specific thread for this, nor did Google help much (all I found was how to setup Wifi on PS4).

I have the problem that my PS4 which is connected through LAN to my Asus AC-5300 can't download software updates (for games etc.) from the Playstation server. I'm on latest Merlin update.

Network protection is off, there's no DNS filter applied to the PS4, no fixed IP address, no Port Forwarding. No LAN route either. It's not part of AI protection via time based or web&apps filter. Nothing in the Network Services Filter. UPNP is on, I know I'm opening it up to a lot of security risks but I want to solve this problem and can later turn them back on.

URL and key word filter has some family safety words on it, kids devices are also on

When I connect the PS4 to my Google Wifi system I have no problem at all downloading, it's just very slow as the Wifi mesh AP is further away (the PS4 is right new to the Asus router).

Error is always the same "Cannot download" which comes after trying for 5-10 seconds.

I don't know what else can stop it from connecting.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. Highly appreciated

A few basic checks.

PS4 set to dhcp and to grab a dynamic dns (ie, it hasn't been set static on the console?)
I assume the ps4 has been rebooted when switching between the routers as it's network stack is crap at renewing IP addresses.

Wan settings on the new router, just ppppoe/dhcp with auto dns selected?

Other thing, is it connected via wifi or netowork cable?

A few basic checks.

PS4 set to dhcp and to grab a dynamic dns (ie, it hasn't been set static on the console?)
I assume the ps4 has been rebooted when switching between the routers as it's network stack is crap at renewing IP addresses.

Wan settings on the new router, just ppppoe/dhcp with auto dns selected?

Other thing, is it connected via wifi or netowork cable?
Yes, dhcp set on PS4 and rebooted many times. Also yes for your 2nd question. It's connected with LAN cable, haven't tried to use Wifi via the AC-5300 router (which is a different Wifi than the Google Wifi).

The router isn't new but the problem is as I'm relying on the fast LAN connection to play remote from my Mac Mini 2 floors above.

Try turning of parental filter, I remember one of them is to do with gaming, also could you please post a copy of the system log around the time of downloads.