What's new

Public or Private Key Goes In Authorized Keys Box for SSH?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

For some reason I can't find the answer to this ... if I generate a pair of private/public keys for SSH use, do I put the private or the public key in the Authorized Keys box under Administration -> System?

Thanks,
Harry

For some reason I can't find the answer to this ... if I generate a pair of private/public keys for SSH use, do I put the private or the public key in the Authorized Keys box under Administration -> System?
The Public Key. The public-key encryption & authentication mechanism requires sharing *only* the public key with other devices, people, etc., and *never* the private key.

The Public Key. The public-key encryption & authentication mechanism requires sharing *only* the public key with other devices, people, etc., and *never* the private key.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if the sharing of the key was from my point of view (ie: I share the public key with the router) or from the router's point of view (ie: I give it the private key so that it can share the public key with me ... by me just keeping the public key).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!