What's new

Push notifications?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JDB

Very Senior Member
Following the (IMO bad) decision to remove Tapatalk - any ideas how I can get push notifications to my phone?

I use Tapatalk for 2 reasons:
1. Keeps all my forums in 1 place and not filling my browser with forum tabs (don’t see a way around this other than maybe dedicating 1 browser to using this forum)
2. I can disable email notifications so I don’t have an inbox full of them (so enabling push notification based on an email received is not really a solution IMO) - only thing I found was https://pushover.net/ but looks like the forum would have to add a plugin to work with their API, but then you may as well just re add Tapatalk as it does this and SO much more on the basis the reason was not wanting to maintain another plugin.

I would be intrigued to see if traffic has dropped over the last week since the update. I for one have not logged in once until now (and that was simply because I wondered what was going on!). The 2 other forums I’ve seen do this over the last few years decided to re add support as so many users were lost/complained.

Also, something about the way this text input box works breaks autocomplete/autocorrect/autocapitalise of in iOS. It’s infuriating! It seems to lose track of anything right of the cursor.

@thiggins - thoughts?

I have been struggling with this too since the change. I have enabled the email option and routed all emails to one particular folder so I can review them periodically and save anything important. Not having Tapatalk has made it quite challenging for me to keep up with the threads since I’m not sitting in front of a PC most of the time. Reviewing everything on the SNB website loaded with different graphics from my small screen phone is another challenge...I felt that I had better control on all the threads and various posts, could watch/unwatch, reply, and now I find myself somewhat lost constantly moving my screens around trying and tapping on various options just to get from one thread to another....

I feel exactly like the same Marin
Tapatalk is slick, forum websites (not just this one) are invariably filled with clutter and navigation is not easy, not to mention loss of features like push notifications.
As I suggested, most/many forums do move back to enabling Tapatalk - I think the problem is if the Admins don’t use Tapatalk (which is usually the case) they just don’t get it.
I would happily annually contribute financially to cover plug-in upkeep time and loss of revenue (as Tapatalk users are not served the ads like on the website).

Tapatalk is not coming back. It's not a matter of maintenance. It's the same reason I disconnected SNBForums and SmallNetBuilder from all social platforms. All insert themselves between the user and content provider and profit off tracking user activity.

I use the New Posts feature to keep up with the Forums. It takes no time at all. You can also create a custom news feed. I see no reason to have to scroll through forums to see what's new.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!