What's new

Puzzled by loss of WiFi speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wizzard

Regular Contributor
I have a RT-AC86U router.

I am using a FTTP 500 / 70 service. This gives me full speeds over Ethernet connection.

However, over WiFi, it only gives 160 / 70 connection (tried on Samsung phone, Pixel 6, iPad and Apple 12 phone as well). I have tried ISP router (Technicolor), Netgear RBR353 Orbi and Asus RT-AC86U. Same result at various distances from the modem (nearest being 2 meters from the Router.
The only thing I have not tried is a different package from the ISP. ISP backbone provider is Zen I believe. Zen checked the line and said all is fine.

Any thoughts please?

What other features and options do you have enabled (or for some settings, simply toggled them on/off)?

Go to Administration, Privacy and Withdraw from all. Reboot the router. After it boots up, wait ~10 minutes and test again.

Any thoughts please?

Use router's default Wi-Fi settings with Auto channel for some time. Monitor the channels it uses most of the time. Lock 2.4GHz @20MHz wide and 5GHz at 80MHz wide with the channels most often used on Auto. This AC86U router can do >500Mbps on Wi-Fi to common 2-stream AC client.

@wizzard

Disable the WIFI on all of your "routers" and get an AP instead. Less frustration as you have a decent wired connection that's working perfectly.

I don't know how sketchy your phones are when it comes to which versions of WIFI they have inside of them but, surely 1-2 of them should be able to max out the line speed. I have a OP 8 Pro that can easily hit gigabit speeds on the network. Planning an upgrade when the SD8G2 starts shipping this month in some phones to see how they're performing but, of course "testers" are more concerned with the photos than the network abilities. The problem with be on the OEM side whether they leave all of the features enabled that are designed into the CPU or not. It supports WIFI 7 so, in theory it should be enabled for testing beyond 6/6E speed with the new 320mhz bandwidth.

However, over WiFi, it only gives 160 / 70 connection (tried on Samsung phone, Pixel 6, iPad and Apple 12 phone
@Tech9 maybe your comprehension skills are off but, if it was working well there wouldn't be a post. Getting 1/3 of the speed over wifi seems to be the issue here.

Use router's default Wi-Fi settings with Auto channel for some time. Monitor the channels it uses most of the time. Lock 2.4GHz @20MHz wide and 5GHz at 80MHz wide with the channels most often used on Auto. This AC86U router can do >500Mbps on Wi-Fi to common 2-stream AC client.

Please explain how to lock @20Mhz / 80Mhz

@Tech9 maybe

If this AC86U router is not performing as expected it has to be replaced. The extra AP won't help because this model has common hardware failures. The closest replacement is RT-AX86S model. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I own one AC86U, I know what the hardware is capable of, what fails inside and even how to fix it on component level. There is no "maybe" in my posts. Your guessing about my skills is not needed.

Please explain how to lock @20Mhz / 80Mhz

In Wireless, General settings - Channel Bandwidth and Control Channel. You need to read the User Manual.

my skills
I wasn't questioning your skills I was questioning your ability to comprehend there's a WIFI issue and not a wired issue. If the wired works fine then instead of dropping $300 on a new router for working wifi at speed use an AP plugged into one of the ports instead and upgrade in the process from AC >> AX.

What you need to understand is this router can do >500Mbps on Wi-Fi and since @wizzard doesn't even know how to fix the channel bandwidth the issue is perhaps in settings used. If the router is failing it has to be replaced and an AP with no properly working router is useless. This model has RoHS, components and quality control related issues. The replacement model suggested above is going on sale for as low as $140. AC86U has to be replaced at some point because it won't get 388 firmware and is left on 386 with eventual security fixes only. This model also has unresolved software bug. As I said - I know exactly what I'm talking about and I take multiple factors into account, not just one.

What you need to understand is this router can do >500Mbps on Wi-Fi and since @wizzard doesn't even know how to fix the channel bandwidth the issue is perhaps in settings used. If the router is failing it has to be replaced and an AP with no properly working router is useless. This model has RoHS, components and quality control related issues. The replacement model suggested above is going on sale for as low as $140. AC86U has to be replaced at some point because it won't get 388 firmware and is left on 386 with eventual security fixes only. This model also has unresolved software bug. As I said - I know exactly what I'm talking about and I take multiple factors into account, not just one.

Thank you. I do understand WiFi. I asked because I misunderstood your response. BTW my mail router is a Netgear Orbi Mesh - so, I do not necessarily need to replace the 86U which is working fine.

You need to provide more details about your setup. Otherwise no one will be able to help you. You have some configuration issues.

Lock 2.4GHz @20MHz wide and 5GHz at 80MHz wide with the channels most often used on Auto
Why use the 20Hz channel bandwidth in this case?

I don't understand "channels most often used on Auto". You have to set either an explicit control channel (i.e., "2") or use "Auto". There is not a way to set 'most often used'. Can you explain?

Why use the 20Hz channel bandwidth in this case?

Because on 2.4GHz band 40MHz wide channel basically takes the entire band and creates more interference for no reason affecting all the neighbor networks around. Unless you live in the middle of a corn field and there is no other wireless networks around, of course. Not the case for most users.

Can you explain?

The router will use more often the channel with more available bandwidth. This is something WiFi Analyzer apps don't show. You leave the router on Auto and monitor in Wireless Log what channels are used more often for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands - the best channels as seen from the router's side.

Sure can. What info is required?

You have 3 routers in post #1 and the same Wi-Fi issues with all of them. How they are connected, how many routers have Wi-Fi enabled, how close they are physically and what Wi-Fi channels they use? When you have the same issue with multiple routers - something around your configuration is not right.

You have 3 routers in post #1 and the same Wi-Fi issues with all of them. How they are connected, how many routers have Wi-Fi enabled, how close they are physically and what Wi-Fi channels they use? When you have the same issue with multiple routers - something around your configuration is not right.

Apologies for not making this clearer. I have 3 routers - NOT used at the same time and so not connected to each other. I tried all three, one at a time connecting to the ONT, and am getting slow WiFi speeds on all of them.

What Wi-Fi settings do you use? Post screenshots of Wireless, General and Professional pages on your AC86U, 5GHz band.

I believe your 5GHz band channel is not set to 80MHz wide and this is the reason you get consistently lower download speeds on Wi-Fi with unchanged upload speed. You perhaps copy the same settings across all routers and accordingly get the same results over Wi-Fi on all three routers.

Last edited:
I have a RT-AC86U router.

I am using a FTTP 500 / 70 service. This gives me full speeds over Ethernet connection.

However, over WiFi, it only gives 160 / 70 connection (tried on Samsung phone, Pixel 6, iPad and Apple 12 phone as well). I have tried ISP router (Technicolor), Netgear RBR353 Orbi and Asus RT-AC86U. Same result at various distances from the modem (nearest being 2 meters from the Router.
The only thing I have not tried is a different package from the ISP. ISP backbone provider is Zen I believe. Zen checked the line and said all is fine.

Any thoughts please?

How bizarre!! I am using Speed test by Ookla. I was trying out various Test servers in Ookla. Tried a few times with Giganet Portsmouth (who I am with) and I get 160/70.

However, Swish, idnet, 4 different Vodaphone servers and Trooli. ALL gave me speed in region of 450+ / 70. These servers were within 15 miles of me. This is on my Pixel 6. iPad gives 160 / 70ish on ALL these servers. Previously, twice, iPad gave over 450 but cannot remember the server.

ALL gave me speed in region of 450+ / 70

Check in Wireless Log the link speed to your devices. If you see 866Mbps - it's 80MHz wide channel on 5GHz.

1671461668726.png

Seems like you don't have Wi-Fi related issues, but the speed test server is throttling for some unknown reason.

I was questioning your ability to comprehend there's a WIFI issue

You know the difference between knowing and guessing now. Any more questions? :)

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!