What's new

PXE boot and ORBI RBR50

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drmed

New Around Here
I am trying to get PXE boot working on my Orbi RBR50 with the stock firmware and didn't have much luck.

I created a VM with windows Server 2016 WDS correctly configured but any client device that tries PXE boot cannot find the WDS server. I assume it is a DHCP issue with the RBR50 but would changing the firmware to VOXEL fix the issue?

Any experiences here? Thanks

If the client that you want to boot via PXE boot, sits in the same subnet as the router and the PXE-server (WDS),
then both the router and the WDS should see the DHCP broadcast that the client is doing.
The router should then respond to offer an IP address, the WDS server should respond that it is a boot server.

If all three are indeed in the same subnet, then check if perhaps Windows Firewall on the WDS server is blocking the DHCP traffic.
Another reason for failure could be in the DHCP options on the WDS server.

Just to be sure: You did not install the DHCP role on the WDS server you deployed? (if you also installed the DHCP role, then WDS is not listening on port 67 and will not see the PXE boot request.)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!