1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Q] DNSFilter and DNS Servers: All clients assigned 192.168.1.1

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by peepsnet, Mar 29, 2020.

1. peepsnet

peepsnet Regular Contributor

Device: RT-AC3100
    Ver: 384.16_beta2

I am using DNS-Over-TLS with Cloudflare(configured on WAN page). I also have DNSFilters enabled and configured to allow my kids devices to use OpenDNS Home bypassing the DOT Cloudflare but allowing me control over adult content/whatecver.

I also have a PiHole server setup and have used DNSFilters to direct a few "un-trusted/semi-trusted " network devices(like cheep china security IPCams) that I have directed to the PiHole. The issue is that all the requests from the devices assigned the to PiHole DNS all show from 192.168.1.1(router IP).

Is there a way to have the router assign the IP of my PiHole or OpenDNS Home to the devices and not route it through the router so I can see which device is making the requests to the PiHole or OpenDNS Home.

Every device on the network shows its DNS server as 192.168.1.1

As I am typing all this I tried the LAN -> DHCP Server page.
    It appears I can assign the DNS Server there and it will pass the DNS SErver setting directly to the Device, bypassing the router.

This is a usable solution for the time being.
    So, can the DNS Server field on the DNS Server page contain more then 1 Server/IP?
    I.E.: 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1
    [​IMG]

And is there a better/more elegant way to do this?

####################################################################

Next I would like to specify the DNS Servers for Guest clients and not have it assigned the router IP.
    I want to pass the DNS Server IPs to the guest client like what happens on the DNS Server page example above.
    Specifically I would like the DNS Server IP for my guest clients to be the PiHole DNS IP and not 192.168.1.1.

Network Setup:
    192.168.0.0/20
    with DHCP from 192.168.14.200-254
    I have a VPN Server that has a subnet of 192.168.15.0

I have:
    The wired devices
    3 SSIDs:
    House-Main
    House-Security
    House-Guest

Every non-guest device on my network is assigned a static IP.
    Every other device goes to the DHCP Pool

Any guest wanting access to the network is given the password to Home-Guest SSID

So the solution, as I see it, would be to pass the PiHole IP(or whatever IP I want) to any client connected to the DHCP Pool but I am OK with all the Static Clients using the router IP

These are my current Settings:
    WAN - Internet Connection
    [​IMG]

LAN - DHCP Server
    [​IMG]

I don't have any AMTM DNS Scripts/Installed

Now that I have my network setup out there I cant wait to hear all the head shakes, face palms, and eye rolls. I can take it!!

Thanks for making it this far down the post,

Don

2. kernol

kernol Senior Member

So sorry Don - can't help ... way above my skills level ... but its been 13 hours since you posted - so the least I can do is supply some of these ... :confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O.
    tenor.gif

peepsnet likes this.