What's new

[Q] DNSFilter and DNS Servers: All clients assigned 192.168.1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

peepsnet

Regular Contributor
Device: RT-AC3100
Ver: 384.16_beta2

I am using DNS-Over-TLS with Cloudflare(configured on WAN page). I also have DNSFilters enabled and configured to allow my kids devices to use OpenDNS Home bypassing the DOT Cloudflare but allowing me control over adult content/whatecver.

I also have a PiHole server setup and have used DNSFilters to direct a few "un-trusted/semi-trusted " network devices(like cheep china security IPCams) that I have directed to the PiHole. The issue is that all the requests from the devices assigned the to PiHole DNS all show from 192.168.1.1(router IP).

Is there a way to have the router assign the IP of my PiHole or OpenDNS Home to the devices and not route it through the router so I can see which device is making the requests to the PiHole or OpenDNS Home.

Every device on the network shows its DNS server as 192.168.1.1

As I am typing all this I tried the LAN -> DHCP Server page.
It appears I can assign the DNS Server there and it will pass the DNS SErver setting directly to the Device, bypassing the router.

This is a usable solution for the time being.
So, can the DNS Server field on the DNS Server page contain more then 1 Server/IP?
I.E.: 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1
9Mrds4c.png

And is there a better/more elegant way to do this?

####################################################################

Next I would like to specify the DNS Servers for Guest clients and not have it assigned the router IP.
I want to pass the DNS Server IPs to the guest client like what happens on the DNS Server page example above.
Specifically I would like the DNS Server IP for my guest clients to be the PiHole DNS IP and not 192.168.1.1.

Network Setup:
192.168.0.0/20
with DHCP from 192.168.14.200-254
I have a VPN Server that has a subnet of 192.168.15.0

I have:
The wired devices
3 SSIDs:
House-Main
House-Security
House-Guest

Every non-guest device on my network is assigned a static IP.
Every other device goes to the DHCP Pool

Any guest wanting access to the network is given the password to Home-Guest SSID

So the solution, as I see it, would be to pass the PiHole IP(or whatever IP I want) to any client connected to the DHCP Pool but I am OK with all the Static Clients using the router IP

These are my current Settings:
WAN - Internet Connection
TlgLZ42.png

LAN - DHCP Server
3I8oGkH.png

I don't have any AMTM DNS Scripts/Installed

Now that I have my network setup out there I cant wait to hear all the head shakes, face palms, and eye rolls. I can take it!!

Thanks for making it this far down the post,

Don

Now that I have my network setup out there I cant wait to hear all the head shakes, face palms, and eye rolls. I can take it!!

Thanks for making it this far down the post,

Don

So sorry Don - can't help ... way above my skills level ... but its been 13 hours since you posted - so the least I can do is supply some of these ... :confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O.
tenor.gif