What's new

[Q]Full port forwarding on a DSL router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loft

Occasional Visitor
Hello there,
I have the following network devices that facilitate internet access in my home:
FRITZ!Box 7412 - DSL router (for free from the ISP)
ASUS RT-AC68U - router, AP
...and the following question:

What if I would configure the FRITZ!Box to forward all available ports to the ASUS (1-65535) and then configure from the ASUS each individual port forwarding?

Now some context:
- The FRITZ!Box I got free from the ISP and it seems that I cannot configure it as a pure DSL modem and let the router behind act as the only router. Or at least that's what I was able to find with my limited German knowledge.
- I got the ASUS on discount and at that point it seemed like a better choice in comparison with DSL-AC68U (except for the DSL part).
- I wouldn't want to sell the RT and get the DSL version of this router since I would lose some money with the transaction
- It is a little bit annoying that every time I need to change something I have to do it in two places and keep track of those changes.

Thanks!

PS: If anybody knows that the FRITZ!Box 7412 can be turned in a pure modem and how to do it, don't hesitate to mention it!

What if I would configure the FRITZ!Box to forward all available ports to the ASUS (1-65535) and then configure from the ASUS each individual port forwarding?
"What if" what? What are you asking exactly? Forwarding all incoming ports to the Asus is exactly the same as putting the Asus in the FRITZ!Box's DMZ (if it has one).

I'm sorry for the bad choice of words. Thank you for getting the idea right!
I never explored the concept of DMZ. Honestly I never gave it enough attention. Thank you for suggesting it!