What's new

Qnap 209 Pro II, very slow transfer, advice welcome

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kev

New Around Here
Hello

I have a Qnap 209 Pro II, I get a very slow file transfer rate. I think (hope) I have something wrong with either my network settings or the Qnap settings. The maximum transfer speed I am able to get is 2.7 MB per second with FTP Filezilla and about 1.5 MB directory to directory over the LAN. Using XP or Vista seems to make no difference. I am copying files from 40MB to 600MB.
I am not using Jumbo frames as not all my PC’s support it.

My first question is: is 2.7 MB file transfer per second normal for the setup I have; Linksys WRT54G router and the Qnap 209 Pro II with 2 x ITB WD green power drives in raid 1 mirroring mode.

After a few days of trying different settings and not getting any transfer speed improvements I was hoping someone would like to help me with my router and NAS settings. Or point me to a thread or website I have missed that will explain to a non network person what to do.
I use a Linksys WRT54G router (I have found in wireless mode I get a higher transfer speed) and a Qnap 209 Pro II with 2 x ITB WD green power drives in raid mirroring mode.

Which is better for the above setup I have: to enable the DHCP on the router or on the NAS, currently DHCP is enabled on my router.
Things I have set in the router are:
Ehternet Port Priority for the nas
VPN passthrough

Thanks in advance,
Kev

Our RAID 1 tests for the QNAP Pro Turbo (not II) show that it essentially maxes out a 100 Mbps connection with 10 MB/s transfer.

Not sure what is wrong with your setup. Router DHCP, VPN or firewall settings should not make a difference since this is a LAN to LAN transfer.

I would check Ethernet settings on the clients and set them to defaults. Try running a ping between the two clients and see what you get.

Are you testing the QNAP wired or wireless?
I'm using QNAP's for all my customers with wire.
Also, try updating the firmware, then reset to factory default settings, and then change/update your passwords.
What kind of drives are you using in these? For best performance, consider a WD Raptor drive, something with 7200 RPM, and lots of cache.

also, try copying a file from computer to computer. Then copy the same file computer to QNAP drive. Performance of drives also decreases as they get less than 15% free space. Defrag may help.

enabling DHCP on the QNAP means it will autoassign an address from the router, when DHCP server is enabled in the router. The QNAP is not a DHCP server(meaning it does not assign IP addresses to computers, your router is doing that).
This is the same as setting your PC's to Automatically assign an IP address, or manually setting a static address.

Sammer, the TS509 (and I suspect all of the their products) can serve as a full DHCP server, just as the router can. Normally you would leave this disabled on the NAS, or if you do, make sure the scopes do not overlap. This would result in a potential IP conflict. DHCP would typically have zero performance impact either on your router or NAS.

Kev, you mentioned faster wireless performance over wired performance which is very strange. This would suggest that one or more of the PC's have networking problems. It also suggests you may have a wiring issue. I was running a test last night (running HD over CAT5) and discovered a lead that was working OK for LAN, actually had several shorts at the cable end. HD and digital audio requires all four pairs to be connected properly. Strange things happen on a LAN when there are cabling issues. Most folks don't have a cable tester with terminator loopback in their kit, however many motherboards have this feature now. Check also that your PC's don't have diagnostics provided by the NIC vendor to test your cables. This is normally found under the Start Menu in a folder that matches the NIC name.

Cheers,
Dennis.

Last edited: