1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

QNAP Announces AI For Storage, New NASes…And A Robot?

Discussion in 'QNAP' started by thiggins, Jan 9, 2018.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

[​IMG]
    QNAP's CES announcements for CES 2018 cover AI, IoT, robotics and, yes, a few new NASes.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

2. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede Regular Contributor

Where's the "cheap" 10Gbps switch that they've been promising since Computex though?

3. thiggins

I know QNAP is trying to expand beyond NAS. But why would they get into switches?

4. Razor512

Razor512 Senior Member

We need more competition with switches, Imagine how affordable a 10GbE switch would become if competition meant that these companies could no longer tack on a gold plated solid diamond yacht tax.

We would likely see 8 port 10GbE switches for less than $50.

5. thiggins

I know cheap 10GbE is your white whale, Razor. But no, we wouldn't.

6. SickOfResetting

SickOfResetting New Around Here

it seems that with each passing day, my decision to opt for a Synology box over QNAP becomes an even greater and more obvious mistake.

7. Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin Regular Contributor

8. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede Regular Contributor

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  9. Magebarf

Magebarf Occasional Visitor

They just sent out an email announcing availability of the QSW-1208-8C today, and April availability of the "little brother" QSW-804-4C;
    • QSW-1208-8C: 12-port (4 SFP+ fiber ports, 8 SFP+/ RJ45 copper combo ports)
    • QSW-804-4C: 8-port (4 SFP+ fiber ports, 4 SFP+/ RJ45 copper combo ports)
    Have not yet found any store in my region where any of these are listed, neither their price, but I guess they're getting close.
    Official product page for the 1208-8C was linked in the email: https://www.qnap.com/en/product/qsw-1208-8c

10. Robbieonthetube

Robbieonthetube New Around Here

Good morning/afternoon/evening chaps!

I just stumbled across this (checking in on the updates on the QSW-1208-8C after finding out more info) and I pleased to confirm that this switch is REAL, it is being released soon and SPAN will have it in stock in around a week (not a vast number of stock... not a sales tactic, just a few in stock and back orders and pre-orders to fill).

here is my shameless bit of self-promotion...

Unboxing Video

Also here is the more detailed Unboxing NASCompares article covering a few more specifics, as well as dismantling the device a bit! https://nascompares.com/2018/04/12/unboxing-the-qsw-1208-8c-qnap-10gbe-switch-its-finally-here/

Attached Files: