1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured Qnap Rounds Out 9-Bay NAS Series With Kaby Lake-Based TS-951X

Discussion in 'General NAS Discussion' started by Julio Urquidi, Jul 13, 2018 at 3:02 PM.

1. Julio Urquidi

Julio Urquidi News Editor

qnap-tvs-951x.jpg
    The third in QNAP’s SMB-targeted 9-Bay NAS series (TS-932X is AnnapurnaLabs-based and TS-963X is AMD-based), the TS-951X sports a 7th-generation Kaby Lake 14nm Intel Celeron 3865U low-power dual-core 1.8 GHz processor and is available in either 2 GB DDR4 RAM or 8 GB DDR4 RAM flavors with both models upgradeable to 32 GB RAM.

Designed for storage tiering, the 9-bay hybrid NAS has five 3.5-inch HHD bays and four 2.5-inch slots designated for SSDs. When used with an auto-tiering solution, customers can benefit from the TS-951X’s design as it allows hot data to run off the SSDs, while putting less used cold data on the HDDs.

Interface-wise, the TS-951X also includes a 10 GbE port and a GbE port, three USB 3.0 ports, HDMI output up to 4096 x 2304, 24 Hz and an IR sensor.

Available now, the two new Qnap TS-951X tower models include:
    • TVS-951X-8G: 8GB DDR4 RAM (2 x 4 GB), upgradable to 32GB - $849
    • TVS-951X-2G: 2GB DDR4 RAM (1 x 2 GB), upgradable to 32GB - $699

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede Regular Contributor

9-bay you say? So where do I fit the extra four 3.5" drives?
    I would almost call this false marketing, as I think most people are looking to put 3.5" drives in their NAS and not a bunch of SSDs.
    Obviously SSD caching would be a nice thing to be able to do on something with 10Gbps Ethernet, but with only SATA SSD support, you're still going to have a bottle neck in this case.

4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Hehe...

takemymoney.jpg

5. flyboynm

flyboynm Occasional Visitor

They are there. 5 are lined up vertically and the other 4 are lined up in 2 horizontal stacks below 5 drives.

6. flyboynm

flyboynm Occasional Visitor

Just bought the TS-932X-2G model on Amazon. It will be a great device with all the 8TB drives I have shucked from WD Easystore enclosures. :)

Well, 5 8TB drives and I am now going to look for the largest 2.5 inch drives to go into the 4 2.5 drive bays.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 11:18 AM
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!