1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured Qnap Rounds Out 9-Bay NAS Series With Kaby Lake-Based TS-951X

Discussion in 'General NAS Discussion' started by Julio Urquidi, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Julio Urquidi

Julio Urquidi News Editor

qnap-tvs-951x.jpg
    The third in QNAP’s SMB-targeted 9-Bay NAS series (TS-932X is AnnapurnaLabs-based and TS-963X is AMD-based), the TS-951X sports a 7th-generation Kaby Lake 14nm Intel Celeron 3865U low-power dual-core 1.8 GHz processor and is available in either 2 GB DDR4 RAM or 8 GB DDR4 RAM flavors with both models upgradeable to 32 GB RAM.

Designed for storage tiering, the 9-bay hybrid NAS has five 3.5-inch HHD bays and four 2.5-inch slots designated for SSDs. When used with an auto-tiering solution, customers can benefit from the TS-951X’s design as it allows hot data to run off the SSDs, while putting less used cold data on the HDDs.

Interface-wise, the TS-951X also includes a 10 GbE port and a GbE port, three USB 3.0 ports, HDMI output up to 4096 x 2304, 24 Hz and an IR sensor.

Available now, the two new Qnap TS-951X tower models include:
    • TVS-951X-8G: 8GB DDR4 RAM (2 x 4 GB), upgradable to 32GB - $849
    • TVS-951X-2G: 2GB DDR4 RAM (1 x 2 GB), upgradable to 32GB - $699

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede Regular Contributor

9-bay you say? So where do I fit the extra four 3.5" drives?
    I would almost call this false marketing, as I think most people are looking to put 3.5" drives in their NAS and not a bunch of SSDs.
    Obviously SSD caching would be a nice thing to be able to do on something with 10Gbps Ethernet, but with only SATA SSD support, you're still going to have a bottle neck in this case.

4. flyboynm

flyboynm Occasional Visitor

They are there. 5 are lined up vertically and the other 4 are lined up in 2 horizontal stacks below 5 drives.

5. flyboynm

flyboynm Occasional Visitor

Just bought the TS-932X-2G model on Amazon. It will be a great device with all the 8TB drives I have shucked from WD Easystore enclosures. :)

Well, 5 8TB drives and I am now going to look for the largest 2.5 inch drives to go into the 4 2.5 drive bays.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  6. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede Regular Contributor

I'd like to see you fit four 3.5" drives in the lower slots...

7. EngChi

EngChi Regular Contributor

and who said that these have to be 3.5 inch drives anywhere? that is unreasonable to assume.

This is the 9 bay drive - if someone , somewhere cant read, and makes up their own stories, it is their problem..

8. Threska49

Threska49 Regular Contributor

Manufacturer's link is pretty clear what goes down there. If anything I'd be more worried about the software because it looks like all this is made for admins. Just shy of buying a server with matching OS.

9. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Regular Contributor

HDMI and an IR sensor so you can use it as a media player? Do they make their own software for this or is it expected you'd run Plex?

10. sanke1

sanke1 Regular Contributor

I am actually apalled by the poor performance of my current TS-653B with 6 x 4TB Ironwolf in Raid6. On 10Gbe, I get maximum 400 MBps download and 200 MBps upload.

I had expected to reach at least 600 MBps.

Caching SSDs with max speed of 550 MBps will not do much to saturate the 10Gbe bandwidth.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!