What's new

QNAP to WIFI using ASUS device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LCARS

New Around Here
I have a QNAP TS-469 Pro NAS that I am having to move to a different room for a few months. Unfortunately there is no ethernet connection to the router and powerline adapters are not usable in the present situation.

This pretty much leaves me with the only option of temporarily connecting the QNAP device to a wireless adapter. USB adapters are very touch and go with QNAP devices, so I am pretty much left with the option of an ethernet > wireless adapter.

Being an ASUS fan (though I am open to other options, if suitable), what ASUS device would be suitable for bringing the NAS onto WiFi?

I used to have an EA-N66 and I have taken a look at the much newer EA-AC87 which seems acceptable, but there's also the 'poorly reviewed' ASUS RP-AC68U - would any of these be suitable, or would picking up an ASUS router and using Merlin's firmware (which I assume has some form of bridge/client mode) be the better option?

Thanks!

pretty much any recent Asus Router/AP has wireless bridge mode these days, so that's probably an option to look at.

Depends on what speeds you are after. I use a N66U as a media bridge to provide wire connectivity to my work VPN router. Using a N66 connected to a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR, my link rate is 300Mbps and I can get 150-200Mbps across it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!