Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

QNAP TS-231P Two-Bay SOHO NAS Reviewed

Discussion in 'QNAP' started by thiggins, Apr 12, 2017.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Wutikorn likes this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Thumbs up - the Alpine is turning out to be a really nice chip ;)

4. garnikg

garnikg Occasional Visitor

thanks for the review. I got the unit and noticing slow USB3-HDD to NAS-HDD write speeds. When I attach MyPassport HDD to laptop and copy a file to NAS, I get ~70MB/s. When I attach MyPassport to NAS USB3 port - speeds are <<10MB/s. Is this expected? Does review chart cover this speed?

5. thiggins

The benchmarks include backup throughput tests for FAT, EXT3 and NTFS formatted USB drives.

These benchmarks use the QNAP's backup utility. How are you measuring the attached drive throughput?

6. garnikg

I access file system from Laptop, both NAS and USB3 connected drives are visible. Then I copy file from USB3 drive to NAS drive. i.e. from \\gNAS\USBDisk1\fileA to \\gNAS\

7. thiggins

That means you are moving the file from the USB drive, to your computer, then back to the NAS.

Use the built-in backup utility or File Manager

8. garnikg

ah, silly me! 96.6MB/s with NAS's built in file manager. thanks very much!

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!