Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

QNAP TS-431P SOHO NAS Reviewed

Discussion in 'QNAP' started by thiggins, Mar 16, 2017.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

[​IMG]
    QNAP's TS-431P is an entry-level RAID 5 NAS that should satisfy cost-focused buyers.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

2. PeterM17

PeterM17 New Around Here

Hi,
    I'm replacing an HP510x that just failed. I have a number of NTFS drives with lots of data on them.
    I'm interested in the QNAP TS-431P and I was wondering if:
    1. I can run it WITHOUT raid,
    2. If it will natively read my NTFS drives.
    3. If Not - then what do you recommend?

3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

NAS drives generally can't be moved between systems.

If you are trying to recover data, attach a SATA USB dock to a Windows system and hope that the HP didn't store the data in some wonky format.

4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

I certainly hope you had a backup plan - if not, perhaps now... there's an old saying - "There are people who back up, and there are people that have never lost a hard disk"

Applies even more with RAID on a NAS, as there is a N/1 factor for data loss considering the number of drives in a clustered solution.

1) Yes
    2) Maybe
    3) Back up your data stored on any NAS

NAS are especially important to have a backup plan for - and the vendors generally have a solution for that...

5. PeterM17

PeterM17 New Around Here

Thanks for the replies!
    All my data off the broken HP has survived unscathed and I do have backups :)
    I have 3x3GB HDs that are currently partitioned into 2GB each because of the limitations of the HP 510X hardware. I can restore the full capacity of each drive at any time.

Rephrasing my original question: What happens if I put an NTFS drive with data into a QNAP?
    Will it want to format it?
    Will it alter the MBR/Partition tables somehow so it can't be used in any other machine?
    Does it need a system drive/partition for it to set itself up? How big does this need to be?

Thanks

6. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

1) typically it will be partitioned and formatted - standalone or member of an mdadm raidset
    2) see above - and if RAID, there will be likely an mdadm superblock
    3) depends on the NAS - QNAP has a DOM so the OS is there, so the HD's are what they are... in any event, once disks are inserted, and the pools are established...

Basically - insert disks into a NAS, expect them to be nuked and rebuilt.

Once established, moving a disk set from one NAS to another in the same vendor - generally safe, but check with them first...

7. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

The NAS will nuke any disk you insert, so you can't just directly plug them. However those NTFS disk could be plugged to the NAS over USB if needed.