What's new

QNAP TS-451+ question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roldogg

Regular Contributor
I recently purchased one of these, my first "real" NAS. Previously, I was using a WD network drive. I installed 4x4TB WD Red Drives and setup a RAID5 configuration. I've installed a few apps on it so far, but I haven't migrated all of my data to it yet. I have it setup with all my AV equipment and have my TV hooked up to the HDMI port along with a wireless keyboard so I can use the HD Station app. Would it have been possible to use 3 drives and then install an SSD as my 4th drive to use as a cache drive? If so, would it have a noticeable difference in speed when using HD Deskstation?

Also, I thought I had set everything up right. QFinder finds my NAS from any PC, I'm able to access the NAS from the mobile apps, but I can't open the NAS using my Android tablet and ES File Explorer. The tablet recognizes the NAS on the network, but is it possible to access it from ES File Explorer, or any other type of file browser, or is this QNAP NAS only accessible using one of the apps?

Lastly, I tried accessing the NAS from a Web browser, and I got a message that it wasn't a secure connection, which then I read where I could purchase an SSL certificate to fix this. I did, but now I'm not sure what I need to do with the certificate. I'm not sure if I just need to copy it into a specific directory on the NAS or is there a specific way I need to install this certificate?

Sorry, but like I mentioned, this is the first NAS I've owned and there's a fairly large learning curve with all the functionalities of this device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Also, I thought I had set everything up right. QFinder finds my NAS from any PC, I'm able to access the NAS from the mobile apps, but I can't open the NAS using my Android tablet and ES File Explorer. The tablet recognizes the NAS on the network, but is it possible to access it from ES File Explorer, or any other type of file browser, or is this QNAP NAS only accessible using one of the apps?
ES File Explorer isn't good with network browsing. Just manually enter the IP address of the NAS and you should be able to access the files.

Lastly, I tried accessing the NAS from a Web browser, and I got a message that it wasn't a secure connection, which then I read where I could purchase an SSL certificate to fix this. I did, but now I'm not sure what I need to do with the certificate. I'm not sure if I just need to copy it into a specific directory on the NAS or is there a specific way I need to install this certificate?
That's probably a warning about a self-signed certificate. You should be able to add an exception to your browser and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the info Tim. This device is still very new to me, and I'm still trying to work my way through the ~400 page manual. One thing I did notice is that for some reason I couldn't access the NAS using only the IP address, I had to include :8080 as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info Tim. This device is still very new to me, and I'm still trying to work my way through the ~400 page manual. One thing I did notice is that for some reason I couldn't access the NAS using only the IP address, I had to include :8080 as well.
Access for administration, correct? You should be able to change that. The different port is used to not conflict with normal HTTP port 80.

I figured it out. In ES File Explorer, after scanning the network and finding the NAS, I had to edit the login settings. It defaults to Anonymous, but after unchecking that and entering my login info I'm going able to access the NAS with no problem.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk