What's new

QNAP TVS-463 or else?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gobtron

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am passively looking to buy a NAS and I have settled to a few criteria that are important to me.

I intend to keep the box more than 5 years so i want it to have:

- Decent CPU (quad-core)
- Upgradable RAM (easily upgradable, not risking to break something)
- Upgradable to 10gbe or additionnal 1gbe ports
- 4 bays
- Quiet
- Under 1000$

Right now, I am interested in QNAP's TVS-463, but the only drawback I could see is the AMD processor. People say that they tend to run hotter than Intel, so I am concerned about noise. Is this anything to worry about? Any alternative with Synology or QNAP?

Very hard to find any information on that specific AMD chip. I would be more than wary of this purchase, long term. An AMD platform does not inspire confidence in me (for performance, efficiency or long term usefulness).

The problem with AMD chips is that they are usually used in budget systems with many other compromises that may not be readily or easily visible at first glance versus similar platforms with Intel chips inside.

I would be (only) looking at an Intel based NAS with the spec's you need and let the budget side of it fall where it may. Worst case scenario? You have to save a little longer in your 'passive' search for this device or just constantly be checking for sales or promotions for the model you decide on.

I recommend QNAP specifically because it usually offers better hardware than a comparably priced Synology model.

Right now, I am interested in QNAP's TVS-463, but the only drawback I could see is the AMD processor. People say that they tend to run hotter than Intel, so I am concerned about noise. Is this anything to worry about? Any alternative with Synology or QNAP?

The TVS-463 and the TS-453Pro are fairly similar - from a NAS perspective, they're pretty close - the 463 does offer the 10GB expansion card (can't recall if this is an option or default).

Anyways - they're both "small cores" - and to that end, Silvermont's on the Intel side do have a slight advantage, but the 463 offers more on some aspects - the GPU in the AMD chip is much more powerful for transcoding, and the 10GB potential is interesting... the AMD thermals are not a real concern, as QNAP has done a good job at addressing them...

The take-away - Basically they're about the same - and the 463 should get some decent life cycle support, same as another other QNAP of that generation... if you can get it at a good price, no reason not to jump...

Note - both are reviewed on the main SmallNetBuilder.com web site - the reviews include older firmware, and QTS has brought on some very good additions since then...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!