What's new

Qnap TVS-672x or Synology 1821+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kmaulsby18

Occasional Visitor
Hello all, I have a choice between these two units. I have a 10gbe switch. My connection is one going into the switch and the other into the NAS. This will be for home use. NAS will be used for Photo and Video editing, Plex media center for Movie collection, music. We will run one or two VM'S and one or two docker containers. It will have to backup four computers and we will be running Steam games from it. I will be adding NVME for caching. I welcome any comments and suggestions.

That's a whole lot of money for a NAS when you could build a full fledged PC using an ADL CPU w/ 16GB ram for the same price and use it for so much more.

If you're not into building something then it comes down to the specs.

I would go with the QNAP for the
  • better processor
  • 10gbps USB option.
  • higher RAM capacity for potential caching / VM's

Are you directly editing the video files on the NAS or moving the file from the NAS, editing in a workstation, and then saving the file back to the NAS ?
If just moving back and forth, ok, any NAS will work.
If directly editing, forget it. Go with internal drives or direct attached storage box over TB4 or faster interface, particularly if you are doing NLE. You will want as many cores as you can afford and as much memory as the MB can take among other things.

I want to clean up some of the questions that were asked.
1. The price for NAS is no issue it's going to be free, I just have to pick which one I want.
2. For editing I have edited on both through a 10 gbe switch connection up to 4K 8bit and 10bit on DaVinci Resolve and Magix Vegas Pro with no issues.
One of the units will be taken home for not only video editing but for a home Plex media server, DNA server, backup two desktop computers, and three laptops, photo storage, photo editing, music

The Intel-based QNAP TVS 872 i5 model is much more powerful than the AMD-based Synology.

If you fully populate all the drive bays (including the 2x M.2 drives) and get the RAM as close to the max allowed as you can, there is no doubt this will be a satisfying system for your expected use.

The increased performance of the i5-8400T CPU is in the 40% to 50% range of the weaker AMD Ryzen V1500B CPU. With a faster single and multicore performance, faster RAM (and double the amount), and (an expected) faster AES-NI engine too. And no iGPU on the AMD model (and hence, no HDMI port either, vs. the QNAP with the superior hardware).