What's new

QNAP vs Synology software experience

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cupax

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm asking anyone of you owners of any Qnap or Synology NAS to write your personal experience using your NAS's software. What do you really like but mostly what are the negative points: is it buggy, missing features, where does it fall short...

We are in a point of buying a new office NAS and are not interested so much in hardware. I think hardware is good only as much as the software it is running.

Thanks!

With QTS 4.3 QNAP has reached the user experience level where it was previously failing, compared to Synology. Synology is still a bit prettier, though... ;)
However I agree when it comes to functionality, there are no noticeable differences for a standard home user.
I find QTS being faster, but as a matter of fact my QNAP NAS is also newer than my two Synology servers, so it may be the cause.

I would like my NAS to be a entertainment server beside storage & back up. Preferably can install with Plex or similar software and torrent downloading capability. responsive OS as well. Which of QNAP and Synology would be a better fit?

Which of QNAP and Synology would be a better fit?

Just make sure it comes with an Intel processor, so you can get better HW decoding support.

Pretty much all the major brands allow you to install at least Kodi nowadays (provided it's a model with an HDMI output).

really comes down to look/feel - and there, they're similar...

Most folks won't spend much time inside the WebGUI once things are setup and running...

I'm running a Qnap TS251 and as already said both (Qnap & Synology) WebGUIs are absolutely great in terms of User Interface and Features.

That said i miss couple of features on the qnap beeing thought to the end. For example it is not possible to make a complete backup of the system (including all nas settings) and recover it in one process. Or you can replicate snapshots to remote systems but its not possible to recover these without a couple of manual steps.

As far as i know thats better solved by Synology. On the other hand i like the WebGUI (at least) on QTS (4.3) a little more because its seems a bit more modern.

But both of them are great systems (not only in terms of hardware) so you wont regret buying one of these.