What's new

QNAP's sub $1,400 16-port SFP28 L2 switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLostSwede

Very Senior Member
Most likely overkill for most people here, but QNAP has launched what should be the most affordable 16-port SFP28 port currently in the market.

abpJANI5dNCikr0w.jpg

ServeTheHome had a nice writeup on the switch...

Might be nice for a homelab - too bad it isn't rack mountable (or maybe QNAP has a kit that would support that use case)
There's a rack mount kit in the box.

Great information about the newer 10GbE equipment. QNAP has been releasing a number of products within the price range for homes and small businesses. I expect 10GbE+ home networking will be the new normal in the not too distant future. The wireless router manufacturers are playing the game of catch up. At least we are seeing some newer routers supporting 10GbE (notable players being Linksys and Asus).

I think QNAP is doing some good things. We just had a discussion on another forum about the QNAPQSW-M2108-2S 2.5g Switch. It seems nice with a good OS, OpenWRT OS. The only problem I see is they are using OpenWRT 17x which is EOL. Why use a EOL OS on a new switch. Even 18x is EOL and 19x will go EOL March 2022 so they are way behind on OS.
OpenWRT is a nice OS but all OSs go out of date.

At least the EOL OS is inside the local network and it is protected by a separate network firewall.

Last edited:
I think QNAP is doing some good things. We just had a discussion on another forum about the QNAPQSW-M2108-2S 2.5g Switch. It seems nice with a good OS, OpenWRT OS. The only problem I see is they are using OpenWRT 17x which is EOL. Why use a EOL OS on a new switch. Even 18x is EOL and 19x will go EOL March 2022 so they are way behind on OS.
OpenWRT is a nice OS but all OSs go out of date.

At least the EOL OS is inside the local network and it is protected by a separate network firewall.
QNAP has a bad habit of doing that and then having to back port stuff. They did this with their enterprise BSD based OS as well.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!