What's new

QOS Basic Clarification

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

housemr

New Around Here
Could someone please give me a quick clarification on QOS for my router.

If i would setup qos on my network to one internal ip or network port and set it on say premium, does that reserve bandwidth all the time from other users on my home network or does it just give that computer priority when it needs more bandwidth (when it would be streaming videos, downloading, etc), and then take some from the other computers.

Basically i want to make sure that it i set this computer as premium/high priority that it wont reserve this bandwidth all the time when it is just doing basic internet browsing or if the computer is turned off or idle.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
QoS implementations vary greatly. It would help to know what router you have.

I believe this has priority-based QoS. Priority based QoS provides relative prioritization of traffic. So setting a specific IP address or physical router port to Premium priority will mean that its traffic will be handled before other traffic.

Be careful to note whether your prioritization applies to upstream traffic (LAN to WAN), downstream (WAN to LAN) or both. Most routers provide only upstream prioritization.

So do you think it will give priority to computer 1 when it needs it? I just want to make sure that the router isnt going to hog/reserve bandwidth that other computers could use if computer 1 isnt in use or just doing light internet browsing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online