What's new

QoS configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

patrick sullivan

Regular Contributor
Looking for suggestion settings for my 68-U. I am experiencing high ping during peak times.

wired connection
3 gaming PC's running at the same time
Ping is 15 on a Sunday am, but spike to 80-90 on a Friday pm
ISP is cable (400 down/15 up)
Use my Asus 68-U for router and firewall
Windows (10) firewall enabled on all PC's

No..only one PC runs through the VPN protocol. All other traffic is ran through the router normally. Do you think the 68U lacking processing power is the problem?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"Pings" are an interesting topic.

My grandson likes to play Fortnite on his tricked out gaming PC. Apparently Fortnite has its own ping tool. When his game is running slow his ping tool oft shows 2, 3 & even 400 ms pings and he'll holler at me to buy a new router.

Yet if I run ping from the command line of my antiquated laptop at the same time I'll see a mere 30 to 40 ms.

So I suspect what my grandson is seeing is some congestion from the "play host / net" and some overhead from dealing with multiple players.

And because I'm going to a different host (e.g., 8.8.8.8) through a mostly different path I'm good.

"Pings" are low priority. They can get delayed or even dropped when things are running relatively OK. Or if you simply run "ping" you're only getting a couple second snapshot of time which may show "good" in the middle of bad or "bad" in the middle of good.

You mention peak times but you don't really mention if "peak" means when your whole family is gathered round or if that's when you perceive the rest of the town is online but I'm guessing you think your ISP is oversubscribed?

Disconnect your router from your ISP's modem and plug your favorite PC into the modem. Then play some with "ping" (e.g., ping 8.8.8.8 -n 100 ... which will give you a hundred pings is a row) and "tracert" at various times (Sunday AM / Friday PM as per you). It should eliminate your home network as being a part of the "problem". (Personally I don't see 80 ms "spikes" as a problem.)

I oft use something called "PingPlotter". It gives a graphical chart of ping/tracert over time (hours). Most of my ping "spikes" correlate with my traffic ... which makes sense ... to me anyway?

Many of us don't need QoS with a 400 Mbps service. You might simply try a bandwidth limiter at something below your service speed (say 380 x 13)? That might leave a little extra room in your pipe for "rush hour".

Last edited:
In-game ping time always include the latency caused by their own server, it's not just a straight ICMP ping to the server. I play an online game myself, and my ping will hover around 100-120 ms when in the quiet zones, but it may jump to 200-400 ms when I jump in a very busy zone (it's a known fact that this game has server performance issues).

So, this has nothing to do with your Internet connection or your router. These games are simply incorrectly calling it "ping", when it should rather ba labeled "latency".

In-game ping time always include the latency caused by their own server, it's not just a straight ICMP ping to the server. I play an online game myself, and my ping will hover around 100-120 ms when in the quiet zones, but it may jump to 200-400 ms when I jump in a very busy zone (it's a known fact that this game has server performance issues).

So, this has nothing to do with your Internet connection or your router. These games are simply incorrectly calling it "ping", when it should rather ba labeled "latency".

RMerlin speaking of gaming and latency...if we're concern about "latency", do you recommend not using DNS over TLS (DoT) mainly if we want to minimize latency for online gaming or if we choose to use this option, should we notice any affect on latency when gaming online? Also, when I was using DoT, i was using the cloudflare DSN settings, however, when using the DNS benchmark tool, it kept telling me that Comcast DNS servers were better than the other 3rd party DNS servers. I'm currently using my service provider DNS servers without DoT, however I don't think this should have any affect in regards to online gaming/latency, correct?

Last edited:
RMerlin speaking of gaming and latency...if we're concern about "latency", do you recommend not using DNS over TLS (DoT) mainly if we want to minimize latency for online gaming or if we choose to use this option, should we notice any affect on latency when gaming online?

DNS over TLS will have zero impact on gaming latency. The DNS requests will only be done to locate the server to which you will connect.

The only thing that might be affected by DNS over TLS is if your game returns you the closest server based on the DNS you use. DNS over TLS might possibly point you at a farther server than your ISP DNS.

I also get very high ping when playing Fortnite... I've noticed if I have Adaptive Qos enabled and setting Games is top priority.. my ping goes from teens all the way up to the hundreds making the game impossible to play... once I disable Adaptive and use Bandwidth Limiter, no more issues with high ping.

I also get very high ping when playing Fortnite... I've noticed if I have Adaptive Qos enabled and setting Games is top priority.. my ping goes from teens all the way up to the hundreds making the game impossible to play... once I disable Adaptive and use Bandwidth Limiter, no more issues with high ping.
Are you using the freshjr QoS script?

Silly question but since I have one PC running through a VPN for torrent use, and all other traffic NOT running through the VPN, would having that VPN active (but no torrents running) negatively impact my speeds? In other words, does a VPN hog bandwidth when active, but not in use?

Just noticed I posted this in the wireless thread. So sorry, I'll pay closer attention next time. :)

Last edited: