What's new

QOS: Fios wan packet overhead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnathonm

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I am looking at the new options under QOS and I am unsure what to select or put in for FIOS as I honestly am clueless about the answer to that question. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

JM

Hi
Hi,

I am looking at the new options under QOS and I am unsure what to select or put in for FIOS as I honestly am clueless about the answer to that question. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

JM

I made the same answer in the release post and got the below from Merlin:

"It's indeed highly technical, and myself I only partly understand it as there are no good documentation on what the traffic overhead exactly is in iproute2's commands. If in doubt, just leave everything to default settings."

Not sure if optic fiber has overhead, it might my research always looked ad vdsl2 overhead, you might have to google it.

Hi,

Thanks,

JM
Most of the time fiber terminates at a device called an ONT. From there the infrastructure changes to Ethernet so I would choose "4" as a packet overhead. This has worked awesome for me.:D:cool:

My current setup has been rock solid:
Merlin 384.9

QoS Type: Adaptive
Bandwidth Setting: Manual
Queue Discipline: fq_codel
WAN packet overhead: 18 ATM: Not checked
Pay for 75/75 Frontier FiOS
UB/DB: 85/85
https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/46787590

46787590.png

i just leave it blank (0) never noticed it making any difference (fq_codel).

42144424.png