What's new

QoS Graph/Details like Tomato?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xruptor

Regular Contributor
I miss how Tomato displayed all it's QoS information. I know QoS is implemented in AsusWRT but there are some things that are lacking, that I wish were implemented. It's possible that I may have completely overlooked it and it's already implemented. Which is why I'm asking here if it's something that can be done via GUI or SSH console? If it's already been implemented.

BTW I know there is Traditional and Dynamic QoS. I would like to see the flow of QoS connections for both in a similar way. Regardless if I'm using Dynamic or Traditional.

On the Tomato qos_graphs, you can see the chunks used by each class in the QoS system.
ssqosg108.png

1) So my first request/question. I miss being able to actually click on each of the classes (chunks on the graph) Tomato graphs and see an active list of connections, filtered by LAN source IP, Protocol, PORT and Bytes in/out.

I really wish there was a way to see a better display by IP. Yes, I'm aware you can turn on IPTraffic to do something similar. However, the current implementation of the "Real-Time" display per device on AsusWRT only displays total sums of connections per device and bytes in/out. It doesn't however show a list of active connections per device/ip and their ports/protocols. That's why I wonder if there is a way to do it like the old Tomato firmware charts.

So for example if in the chart I click on P22/Bulk (Class E on image above). I would be taken to a list of active connections using that class.

TomatoUSBQoS-ViewDetails2015-01-1819-53-01_zps111e47ce.png~original

Right there I can see what IP address is using that QoS class. The active ports source/destination. Even the real time bytes out/in. Current I don't know of anything like this in AsusWRT. This was a tremendous tool to see what is hogging up connections and easily blocking ports and such.

Is something like this already implemented or can be implemented for both Traditional and Dynamic QoS? Would be nice to see where everything is being reallocated to and it's break down by connection.

2) My other question from the original Tomato Firmware. If you were to click on 'View Details' as found on the image above. You would get something like this.

Details.png

It's similar to the one I posted above in the first question. The primary difference is that this one shows all connections regardless of QOS class. It does however allow me to sort them using the columns above.

Conclusion:

So is there anyway to grab or display the data as stated in my first and second question? The current implementation of AsusWRT for QOS graphs do not allow you to click on them. What I mean is that you can't click any part of the pie graph to see more details on the actual filtered classes. The only thing it tells you is the total bandwidth that was used per class by hovering over with the mouse, but that's about it.

The IPTraffic graphs are also pretty restrictive. You can't really click on any of the graphs or break down the traffic on a per connection basis. The only thing you can see is total daily input by IP address. That or you can see the total connection per IP. But not broken down by port and total bytes in/out by port.

I used to use these tools to track down major traffic hogs and see exactly where and how the QoS system was classifying stuff. I really do miss those features :(

BTW I know you can go to System Logs -> Connections then click (refresh) but it's not really the same thing as the GUI interface display as provided by the old Tomato QOS pages.

That information is not available when using Adaptive QoS, and I don't want to devote countless hours of development time for the legacy QoS system that is being phased out.

That information is not available when using Adaptive QoS, and I don't want to devote countless hours of development time for the legacy QoS system that is being phased out.

Thanks for responding RMerlin. So I'm assuming the Traditional method is being completely removed from AsusWRT and replaced with the Adaptive? I use both and figured there was a way to display more information on what's going on.

Is there anyway via SSH that this can be called or displayed? Is there a third party application I can use to monitor the network and provide the information that I'm looking for? I recall someone mentioning ntop or netdata but I'm not entirely sure those would work with AsusWRT. Something that can show me data by IP, protocol, bytes in and out, SRC / DST ports.

Adaptive QoS with FreshJR Script is the best!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was looking for something more along the lines of monitoring. So that I could see what's going on via a visual GUI. The Adaptive QOS with the FreshJR script allows me flexibility in handling QoS, but it doesn't really show me what's going on behind the scenes. The graphs and listings above that I showed in the original Tomato firmware, gave me more information as to active connections. That way I can see if any connections or ports where being put in different categories OR that a particular IP address was hogging up the bandwidth. Was hoping there is something I could do console wise or via the AsusWRT gui.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was looking for something more along the lines of monitoring. So that I could see what's going on via a visual GUI. The Adaptive QOS with the FreshJR script allows me flexibility in handling QoS, but it doesn't really show me what's going on behind the scenes. The graphs and listings above that I showed in the original Tomato firmware, gave me more information as to active connections. That way I can see if any connections or ports where being put in different categories OR that a particular IP address was hogging up the bandwidth. Was hoping there is something I could do console wise or via the AsusWRT gui.

what you ask for is not trivial and took quite a bit of programming effort in the Tomato build. Since its unsupported in Adaptive QOS I think you are stuck because there is no way of getting that type of info either in the GUI or any third party stuff that I know of

Just a quick FYI, if you toggle "App Analysis" you can view "QOS identified traffic names" sorted by individual "networked devices" bandwidth usage.

If you find a "traffic name" using a high speed or an ambiguous traffic name, you can use FreshJR_QOS -appdb "traffic_name" function to explicitly see which QOS category that traffic is routed being into.

The aggregate quantity(proportion) of QOS sorted traffic category can always be seen in QOS statistics.

Sure you cannot see the source/destination IP/ports for which specific traffic category something is using but at least you can now match identified traffic against QOS destination narrowed down per specific device. (App Analysis lets you instantly see how much bandwidth a "traffic name" is using per device).

Currently appdb in my script only supports one word parameters (aka no spaces).
I have an updated version that supports spaces but have been too lazy to push it.
Currently partial matches work against multi word queries so it's not a big deal.

I hope this helps at least in the slightest.

The procedure is not automatic, but at least it is a manual possibility for further investigation if you find something not working correctly.

I have generally found that AdaptiveQOS (with my script) works well enough where I don't fret about miscategorizations.

If you need specific IPs/Ports per traffic name I can help you out via PM (no plans to implement an automatic GUI from my end)

Last edited:
Just a quick FYI, if you toggle "App Analysis" you can view "QOS identified traffic names" sorted by individual "networked devices" bandwidth usage.

If you find a "traffic name" using a high speed or an ambiguous traffic name, you can use FreshJR_QOS -appdb "traffic_name" function to explicitly see which QOS category that traffic is routed being into.

The aggregate quantity(proportion) of QOS sorted traffic category can always be seen in QOS statistics.

Sure you cannot see the source/destination IP/ports for which specific traffic category something is using but at least you can now match identified traffic against QOS destination narrowed down per specific device. (App Analysis lets you instantly see how much bandwidth a "traffic name" is using per device).

Currently appdb in my script only supports one word parameters (aka no spaces).
I have an updated version that supports spaces but have been too lazy to push it.
Currently partial matches work against multi word queries so it's not a big deal.

I hope this helps at least in the slightest.

The procedure is not automatic, but at least it is a manual possibility for further investigation if you find something not working correctly.

I have generally found that AdaptiveQOS (with my script) works well enough where I don't fret about miscategorizations.

If you need specific IPs/Ports per traffic name I can help you out via PM (no plans to implement an automatic GUI from my end)

This has been absolutely helpful! Thank you for your response FreshJR. I think using the above mentioned information I should be able to at least get an idea of what is going on. This is pretty much what I was looking for although it's on a terminal basis. That's quite fine for me as I have no problems executing the commands via SSH. Thanks again for all your hard work in your script FreshJR. You rock!