What's new

QoS Settings for XBox One X on RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Occasional Visitor
Evening all

I am wondering if you can help at all.

I have been trying to cure slow download speeds on my XBox One X. I have 300/150 Fibre internet and when i run the inbuilt test on the XBox or with Speedtest.net on the browser i get circa 280/100 which would be fine.

I have the XBox connected to my 88U via ethernet. However my download speeds are fluctuating wildy from 2mbps to 298mbps. This means game downloads (some of which are 40-50gb due to the 4K & HDR) are taking a lot longer than they should.

I have done the port forwarding and also tried to use QoS but it's not improved. I'll attach some screenshots of my router settings to see if anyone can help. For example i'm not sure which WAN packet overhead to select for Fibre?

My setup is 88U connected via ethernet cable to the ISP modem which is then connected via fibre optic cable to the entry point into the apartment. If that helps?

Thank you in advance. Here’s the settings I’m currently using.

7ad55e13aa6a5892c728b3422f2f00cf.jpg

cfb4207255bc8ecfcbbe454977733205.jpg

40aa347bba9e671da4b3fe6c894bf392.jpg

Carl [emoji4]

Not sure what firmware that you are running, but it looks like a Merlin version. Suggestions: Save a copy of your settings first, but here are some things to try that work on my particular setup....make sure your Ethernet cables are at least CAT 5E; enable Upnp and delete all other port forwards; lower your QOS U/L and D/L maximums by about 20%; run in sfq QOS mode; prioritized all of your devices in the QOS device list; change your WAN dns servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (I use the OpenDNS servers); disable NAT acceleration; you can also disable Spanning Tree Protocol.

Not sure what firmware that you are running, but it looks like a Merlin version. Suggestions: Save a copy of your settings first, but here are some things to try that work on my particular setup....make sure your Ethernet cables are at least CAT 5E; enable Upnp and delete all other port forwards; lower your QOS U/L and D/L maximums by about 20%; run in sfq QOS mode; prioritized all of your devices in the QOS device list; change your WAN dns servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (I use the OpenDNS servers); disable NAT acceleration; you can also disable Spanning Tree Protocol.

Thanks. Yep I’m on Merlin 382.1_2

I use Cat 7 cables so they’re good.

Fairly sure UPNP is enabled, will check

I’ve changed the DNS servers on the XBox to primary 8.8.8.8 & secondary 8.8.4.4. Do I need to do it on the 88U as well?

With regards to NAT acceleration. In the network diagnostics on the XBox it warns me that it has detected a double NAT (because I’m going from the 88U which is plugged into the ISP modem). Anyway of stopping this without plugging directly into the ISP modem (which is sh!te!!)

Where do I disable spanning tree protocol?

Sorry for all the questions. I’m technically minded but a noob in the world of networks and only know what I’ve learned on here.

Thanks again.

For testing to see if you get better speeds on your xbox, it is OK to just put the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) into the XBox.

The double NAT may actually be the cause of your issue. You will need to log into your ISP modem and check to make sure that it is in bridge mode. https://www.pcworld.com/article/317...identify-and-resolve-double-nat-problems.html

Thank you.

The ISP modem is a Huawei HG8245H which i can't seem to find how to put into bridge mode. Tried google but nothing doing. Everything is greyed out and i've logged in with the admin password (see attached screenshot)

I've diabled NAT in the WAN section on the 88U and also checked UPnP is enabled, as is Secure UPnP

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 09.29.33.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 09.29.33.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,041
Hmm if I disable NAT it stops the LAN working on the 88U and everything plugged in to it disconnects.

Ok managed to put the Huawei into Bridge mode. Had to find the default password for the router online and not the admin password.

However it then stops the connection passing through to the 88U?

Sorry for all the dumb questions :(

Finally sorted it a different way.

As you’ll see in the attached screenshot above the NAT Type on the HUAWEI Router was Port Restricted Cone NAT.

I changed that to Full Cone NAT as an experiment and voila NAT Open on the XBox.

8610937a8ec5bf8d58ebe31739251073.jpg

Also the speed is now as so.

f05b6c5e5c90e7011c007fc2b490a7d4.jpg

So hopefully on Game downloads etc now the speed will improve. If it doesn’t then the issue is Microsoft XBox Live Store side. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

The stock QoS will only make your download speeds worse as that will be the first thing to get throttled by the router when there is other traffic. Have you tried FreshJR's QoS rules? They help quite a bit, even download speeds.

Game download speeds can also be limited by their hard drives speed, & even more when a game or app is open. Going back to the home screen isn’t enough, make sure to fully quit a game. Adding a USB 3.0 SOlid State Drive (250+ GB) would also help with download speed & game load times.

With manual QOS configuration NAT hardware acceleration would be disabled. Did you try Adaptive QOS set to gaming and hardware acceleration set to Auto in the LAN settings?

With manual QOS configuration NAT hardware acceleration would be disabled. Did you try Adaptive QOS set to gaming and hardware acceleration set to Auto in the LAN settings?

Yes tried that. The speeds are still slow in comparison.

Game download speeds can also be limited by their hard drives speed, & even more when a game or app is open. Going back to the home screen isn’t enough, make sure to fully quit a game. Adding a USB 3.0 SOlid State Drive (250+ GB) would also help with download speed & game load times.

I don’t think that matters on the XBox One X.

This is the speed it’s fluctuating between when downloading to a SSD (OCZ VERTEX 3) in a USB 3 Caddy.

1c45cfeab46cfda91e8942c5a558f397.jpg

f93fa041de04020e6ceecdddb4451293.jpg

Every app/game has been quit so the only thing happening on the box is this download.

I tested the same drive on my Mac with BlackMagic and it gave a read/write performance of 497/424MBps respectively. So way above anything I can download at. My fibre connection is 300d/150u.

This is my connection speed before I started.

46470225bbc193d1447e02dfa1cff3b2.jpg

So it must be Microsoft servers (which is surprising given the size of the company).

MS are limiting the speed.
I was capped at 20Mbs last night with my Xbox One, annoying when I had a 25GB update and a 72Mbs connection.
I have some large files on Onedrive that was downloading at 60Mbs no problem same evening.

I wonder why they are capping it so much? I can download from Apple at circa 27-28MBps.

I can understand when something/game is initially released and there is a surge in demand. But not for games that have been there for a while.

I can understand when something/game is initially released and there is a surge in demand. But not for games that have been there for a while.

Downloads all come from the same servers and go through the same network. So, they can't start adjusting the speed based on which game you are downloading.

Downloads all come from the same servers and go through the same network. So, they can't start adjusting the speed based on which game you are downloading.

I meant that it would slow down due to more people downloading at the same time, not that they would throttle a particular game.