What's new

QOS - Settings perform inverse of expected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

madfusker

Regular Contributor
I am trying to optimize QOS, and before I do so for services, I need to get the settings right. What I am finding are the settings perform inverse of what I would expect. My connection with no VPN is about 105 Mbps download, and 5 Mbps upload. With PIA VPN it is bout 20-30 Mbps download, and 5 Mbps upload. In firmware 380.66_4, there is a place in QOS settings for setting the up and down speed. What I find is when I put in 105 down and 5 up, my speed comes to a crawl, like 2 Mbps download. If I inverse the settings and put 5 down, 105 up, I get decent speeds of about 20-30 down, and 5 up, and with no VPN the the full 105 down and 5 up.

- What settings should i have here since I have PIA VPN running 24/7? Should it be the 105 down capability? or the 20-30 down that I can actually get over VPN? And why do I have to inverse the settings to get any speed? (see screenshot)

- Lastly, Do my percentages look right for an even separation of low medium high settings? (see screenshot)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    327.9 KB · Views: 696
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    423.6 KB · Views: 655
A search would have brought up the issues you're reporting ;) Traditional QOS is busted so don't use it. Yes, when using the VPN your speeds are going to show up as reversed, been like that for years. Might be better off just turning off QOS and specify what clients get highest and lowest access on the Bandwidth Monitor tab. You'll never get 105 down with VPN client and Router with encryption enabled.

some router it is broke, other it works last i check it fine on ac66u that I have but i stoped using it cause with it on my provisioned speeds drastically reduced, I have 200mbit but with QOS on which turns off hw acceleration my speed get capped to around 100.

I have seen it stated as broken on some threads, but not ever sure for what hardware. I have the AC87U and it has been working, albeit backwards. Turning it off gets me the 30/5 which is right on target for VPN as mentioned above however I want to prioritize ports, not machines. I guess if it's broken it's broken though. Thanks everyone.

What I find is when I put in 105 down and 5 up, my speed comes to a crawl, like 2 Mbps download. If I inverse the settings and put 5 down, 105 up, I get decent speeds of about 20-30 down, and 5 up, and with no VPN the the full 105 down and 5 up.

And why do I have to inverse the settings to get any speed?

Well your observation is correct. The Traditional QOS upload and download manual speed settings appear to be inverted. I get the same result testing over hardwired ethernet. My download is suddenly capped at my manually entered upload speed and the upload is capped at the actual max upload speed with no other changes made. A 15/2 service is suddenly 2/1.9 so I would say it looks like a coding error - aka bug. My router is an RT-AC68U C1 with 380.66_2 f/w. The adapative QOS seems to work ok though.

One additional observation I made today is that the above happens only when I test over hardwired Ethernet. If I disconnect the Ethernet cable and switch to either 2.4 or 5GHz wifi then the traditional qos works ok. It does not matter whether the wifi is a windows, android or ios device they all work fine. The same observations can be made with either stock 3.0.0.4.380_7378 or merlin f/w.

Hopefully someone else can comment on your other question.

Last edited: