What's new

QoS Settings Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilentStorm

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing well and staying safe.

I just bought the Asus ROG GT AC2900. Loving it so far! I'm hearing lots of buzz around the Merlin software so I'm going to go forward with that.

I saw a lot of buzz around the QoS settings as well. I heard about FlexQoS and CakeQoS.

Wondering if either one is compatible with this router and which one I should use?

I also saw something say "fq_codel is no longer supported with the latest update." Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

My ISP speeds are 500/20.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think FlexQoS should work fine. CakeQOS disables hardware acceleration in order to work, so you would have to see if you can reach your 500 down without HW acceleration. FlexQoS leaves HW acceleration enabled. The current beta of FlexQoS brings back fq_codel for Adaptive QoS. It’s generally considered superior to sfq for general use.

I think FlexQoS should work fine. CakeQOS disables hardware acceleration in order to work, so you would have to see if you can reach your 500 down without HW acceleration. FlexQoS leaves HW acceleration enabled. The current beta of FlexQoS brings back fq_codel for Adaptive QoS. It’s generally considered superior to sfq for general use.
Really appreciate your reply.

Do you know where I can find the beta version for FlexQoS? All I'm finding is version 1.1. Is that it?

Also, out of curiosity is cake even supported on the router I have?

Thanks again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!