What's new

QOS Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D._Manley

Occasional Visitor
Be gentle with me guys. I have a recently acquired AC68U running Merlin's latest (376.45) firmware thus, posting in this forum. When it comes to QOS, I'm a rank amateur. In short, would using the "Automatic" QOS mode be beneficial for streaming over devices such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and similar devices? As is, things work well for the most part but I do get the occasional buffering problem. I might add that I have these streaming boxes in 3 different locations within the home but I can't remember any of them being in use simultaneously. On this, I simply don't feel comfortable configuring custom settings for QOS so if the Auto settings would be of no help video streaming or, would actually do harm overall, I'll just leave it off since performance is decent anyway and much improved over my prior router. FWIW, I have the farthest streaming box using 2.4 GHz & the 2 closest to the router using 5GHz.

I note that the router has a dedicated XBox setting also. Can I assume this has no bearing on the question above & it's truly only of benefit to the XBox?

Thanks for any tips.

If I understand the problem you're describing correctly, I'm not sure qos will solve your problem.

Qos on these routers as I understand it priorities traffic between the internet and your internal network.

Outbound you can see some benefits. For instance, if you use VoIP or facetime and want to prioritize that traffic to make sure users on the other end can hear you better regardless of whatever other traffic might be occurring at the same time.

Inbound won't do you much good as your internal network is probably much faster than your internet service.

Have you investigated potential Wi-Fi issues? If you were to hardwire do your issues go away?

Last edited:
QoS is only one part of the problem. Bandwidth requirements for HD streams, especially 1080p, are high. If you have more than a single HD stream, and are on a slower connection, you will always have problems. There is only one way around this, and it is to upgrade your connection speed.