What's new

QoS settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

the1

Occasional Visitor
I have upgraded to a new fibre internet plan and the max downrate is 1000 and uprate is 50 (yay for Australian asymmetry).

For my plan, I have been advised that I should set a uprate limit of 49mbps as if you do not limit the uprate, the fibre provider has a 'policer' in place which will aggressively drop packets and reduce throughput.

Is it possible to enable QoS to only limit uprate?

There has been some evidence to suggest that if the downrate limit is set to 1000 on some ASUS routers, it will cause performance issues and client devices are unlikely to max out their downrate.\

RT-AX86U Pro is my router if relevant.

EDIT: I received one suggestion to purchase a switch that sits between router and the fibre and to use the switch to only limit uprate - not sure if this is a good/viable solution?

Last edited:
I have upgraded to a new fibre internet plan and the max downrate is 1000 and uprate is 50 (yay for Australian asymmetry).

For my plan, I have been advised that I should set a uprate limit of 49mbps as if you do not limit the uprate, the fibre provider has a 'policer' in place which will aggressively drop packets and reduce throughput.

Is it possible to enable QoS to only limit uprate?

There has been some evidence to suggest that if the downrate limit is set to 1000 on some ASUS routers, it will cause performance issues and client devices are unlikely to max out their downrate.\

RT-AX86U Pro is my router if relevant.

EDIT: I received one suggestion to purchase a switch that sits between router and the fibre and to use the switch to only limit uprate - not sure if this is a good/viable solution?
I'm watching this thread with interest too as I am also having similar issues trying to set QOS but when I set it the Download and Upload rates my Downloads drop to 200 mb/s and I am only 1000/50 like yourself. The only thing I can think for you try is to set the download rate to 0 because I think that means it disabled throttling / allow unlimited

I might be wrong though

I also thought youre supposed to set bandwidth to 95% of your maximum as well which would mean setting your upload to around 45

I'm watching this thread with interest too as I am also having similar issues trying to set QOS but when I set it the Download and Upload rates my Downloads drop to 200 mb/s and I am only 1000/50 like yourself. The only thing I can think for you try is to set the download rate to 0 because I think that means it disabled throttling / allow unlimited

I might be wrong though
I have tried setting it to 0, however, I receive an error saying that I must insert a value.

I did do this when I was still on the stock firmware though, is Merlin different?

I have tried setting it to 0, however, I receive an error saying that I must insert a value.

I did do this when I was still on the stock firmware though, is Merlin different?
oh not sure sorry I thought you were on Merlin too. I didn't get any error setting it to 0

I am on Merlin now.

Essentially, that is my query. Does Melrin have the capability to not limit download i.e. can I set it to a value like 0 or something and not let it affect the downrate?

Putting a download value way above your actual limit in QoS does not work ? Even 9999 to test.

I can try that later today.

I have been using Traditional QoS so far, should I try something else like Cake?

I have been using Traditional QoS so far, should I try something else like Cake?

Both Runner and Flow Cache incompatible. This will limit WAN-LAN throughput to about 400Mbps. You are losing 60% of your ISP connection speed.

Both Runner and Flow Cache incompatible. This will limit WAN-LAN throughput to about 400Mbps. You are losing 60% of your ISP connection speed.
Apologies, I am somewhat new to QoS as I haven't had to deal with this before.

What is Runner and Flow Cache? Are you saying Traditional QoS and Cake are incompatible therefore WAN-LAN throughput is reduced to 400Mbps?

If that's the case, do I have any other alternative options?

What is Runner and Flow Cache?

The NAT acceleration on your model router.

f that's the case, do I have any other alternative options?

Your only option on Gigabit ISP is Adaptive QoS. Anything else will restrict your WAN speed to about 400Mbps. This is a CPU limitation.

Your ISP perhaps has speed limiter on upload because of their own limited upload bandwidth. This is not an issue and perhaps you don't need QoS.

Okay, thanks for your advice.

On an Australian ISP related forum, a few people have suggested placing a switch between the fibre and the router and enabling an upstream limit on the switch. The setup would be as follows:

Fibre (ISP) < Cat 6a > Switch < Cat 6a > Router < Cat 6a > PC

Each Cat 6a would be no longer than 1m/3ft.

Do you see any issues with this approach?

I don't see the issue you are trying to solve. What is going to happen if you upload with 50Mbps? You pay for 1000/50 plan, no?

In Australia, there is one organisation that operates the fibre network.

Consumers then engage with ISP's (or RSPs) that provide the fibre plans. The plan I have chosen is 1000/50.

The ISP limits their customers downrates because the connection travels through their data point (not sure if data point is the right term, however, I assume you understand what I am referring to).

The fibre modem that's in my property does not limit uploads, therefore, if a consumer attempts to exceed the uprate of their chosen plan, in this case, 50Mbps, the fibre operator's 'policer' drops packets and reduces a customers uprate. More info on this available here.

I am trying to shape the upload of my connection and leave my downrate unaffected.

the fibre operator's 'policer' drops packets and reduces a customers uprate

Okay, and they reduce it to what? You pay for 50Mbps upload, must be 50Mbps. What problem this creates? You just get what you pay for.

Okay, and they reduce it to what? You pay for 50Mbps upload, must be 50Mbps. What problem this creates? You just get what you pay for.
No. The the reduction is 20-30Mbps. Again, more info here.

I need to have a limiter of 49-49.5Mbps to avoid hitting the 'policer' so I can sustain as close to my max uprate as possible. It's a stupid system but it's what we have in Australia.

This must be something Australia specific. If this is the case use Adaptive QoS with manual settings to 940 download (this is Gigabit) and 48Mbps upload, for example. There is nothing else you can do on the router. Adaptive QoS is not the best, but for traffic limiting purposes will work okay. You don't need extra switch.

1708469690516.png

When I attempt to enable Adaptive QoS, there's a pop up message about Trend Micro.

How is Trend Micro connected to Adaptive QoS?

When I attempt to enable Adaptive QoS, there's a pop up message about Trend Micro.

How is Trend Micro connected to Adaptive QoS?
Theres plenty of threads on this already..here's one example but you can find quite a few on this topic: