1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured Qualcomm reveals Snapdragon 855 with 802.11ax, 802.11ay and WPA3

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by Balance, Dec 5, 2018 at 5:20 PM.

1. Balance

Balance Occasional Visitor

[​IMG]
    Qualcomm revealed their new flagship chipset today in Hawaii aimed at the high-end phones of 2019, and it comes with a lot of firsts. The Snapdragon 855 mobile platform features Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) support, 802.11ay support in the 60GHz band and WPA3 security support, all 3 not seen before in any mobile chipset.

More info

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2018 at 7:33 AM
  2. aSmallWorld

aSmallWorld Occasional Visitor

it won't change anything since it's still 2x2 and 256 QAM @80Mhz ... Max speeds will stay at 866mbps.

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

It will be more efficient than 802.11ac however.

4. Balance

Balance Occasional Visitor

Do you have a source on that (max 256 QAM)? Max. link speed for 2x2 80MHz with 802.11ax is 1200 Mb/s, plus thanks to OFDMA much more efficient scheduling (especially with 8x8 sounding).

5. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Note the “ax ready” weasel words. If draft ax were supported, it would spec DFS, 160 MHz and 1024 QAM support.

Makaveli likes this.
  6. OBENZ

OBENZ New Around Here

so no real benefit from getting these draft ax routers yet?im eying the galaxy s10 which should have the Snapdragon 855 so tempted to get a ax router

7. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Not on the wireless front, but they typically also sport better CPUs and RAM than older models, so you do get some benefit out of them. It's a matter of determining whether these benefits are worth the cost, plus the slight risk that wifi-related issues might appear later on as AX clients start to appear on the market.

Killhippie and Makaveli like this.
  8. OBENZ

OBENZ New Around Here

Thanks for clarifying, I'll wait a bit then. Higher RAM and better CPU are not worth 500usd in my book, once issues ,if any, are ironed out I'll bite. I just hope these dont have sleep issues I see on some Android phones who are kept awake by the router

9. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Even on the Wireless side - improved firmware inside the wireless chip, along with more powerful CPU and general clean up can help with wifi performance, this was noted on the main site when 11ac AP's were tested against legacy and 11n clients.

The additional radios can also be a big help with performance at a given range, even with older clients.