What's new

Query: Wifi security on a daisy chained router with 2015 firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerq

Occasional Visitor
My Q) Considering that the wifi security on Trendent is WEP2-AES. And the front end security is taken care by the Asus, is there any security risk with using the old firmware on the Trendnet? Details below.

Due to the limitations I have on the routers I own currently and what family expectation I have the following config: Asus RT86U as primary router with latest Merlin firmware (386.2_6). Family is on primary ASUS wifi SSID. Std security setup (WDS, UPNP disabled, Trend micro enabled etc.)

A TP-Link AC750 Travel router (TL-WR902AC) configured as a client bridge (does not broadcast wifi) and connects to a 5g isolated guest SSID on ASUS. TP link feeds signal to the WAN port of a Trendnet TEW-881DRU (2015 firmware, no updates available) that broadcasts that signal for my devices on new SSIDs. I have 2 piholes running on Trendnet.

I am not seeing any performance issues as my pings are almost same as when I connect to Asus directly, and I get ~100mbps bw (limited by the 100mpbs port on the Tp-Link. I have a 120mpbs down and 6mpps up connection.

NOTE 1: Tp-Link can be connected in repeater mode / hotspot mode where it re-broadcasts the Asus 5g signal on its own SSIDs, and can have piholes as DNS with static IP. But since it’s a nano travel router, its signal is not very strong…

NOTE 2: I tried to upgrade the Trendent to latest DD-wrt, but that firmware is buggy. In repeater / hotspot mode, devices cant connect to the 5g virtual AP signal and static IP functionality is also defective. So I reverted back to official but really old firmware from 2015.

So thoughts? And suggestions to improve security …

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!