What's new

Question about a specific issue I'm having.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J

jsz

So I'm currently testing a AX58U and GT-AC2900 (Rebranded AC86u with 160mhz support)

When I run a speed test on the AX58U, this client always pushes 460-480mbps (same speed wired) almost instantaneously and hovers at those speeds until the test is finished. I've tried this multiple times and this router has been extremely consistent.

On the GT-AC2900 (86u rebrand), it feels like the client has to ramp up to get to max speed. It can be as fast as the 58u, but when it wants to be slow it drags a bit and takes awhile to get up to the same speeds. Starts slower and it looks like a modem issue.. but isn't. It doesn't matter if Im using 80mhz or the full 160mhz in conjunction with my AX200 client.

Both are the same distance with no other changes relatively. Both hit the same 460-480mbps on 160mhz

I know the GT-AC2900 has a relatively higher end albeit older cpu design compared to the new SoC + "High end" 5G AX antenna combo of the AX58u, but I feel like the 58u is... better un-ironically? This isn't exclusive to my AX client either.. I noticed the same kind of speed gaps using AC/N wireless clients at typical distances.

Can anyone explain to me whats going on? I had this happen with a TPLINK c4000 v.3 too (same BCM4906 CPU as the GT-AC2900), but I had to return it because the 2nd 5g channel would just crash randomly.

Edit/Update: Plugged lan cable into a mac mini in the same room while having the slow downs. Has the same issue.. so we can rule out wireless radios at this point. Either theres an issue with the BCM4906 (same issue with two separate models/brands) or my Arris modem decides to be intermittent/slow only when AC routers are plugged in..

Edit 2: LAN/WIFI on 58u are significantly faster after hot swapping the two routers... Yeah.. this is annoying. I will test and wait awhile to see if the same thing happens with 58u.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: both have the issue over time but its a more common occurrence on the GT-AC2900/Aka 86u. Might have something to do with the modem usage, no clue..

Not sure which one to send back at this point. The 58u is more of a long term entry AX solution since its capable of close to 1g wifi at closer range, but the GT2900 is a better overall router in 80mhz mode in terms of actual max range. 300-330mbps vs 240-260 on 58U in my furthest room. 160mhz (2x2) mode on GT2900 bottlenecks it down to a comparable 230-250 from testing. Similar to the 58u.

I do use 160mhz mode for my main desktop (AX200) and both routers perform similarly at this distance for my internet tier. Getting around 460-480 wifi on 400mbps plan at around 20 feet.

I do not plan to do hardcore NAS storage but I will be using a 3.0 usb flash drive for local storage. Does not need to be fast so I think that factor is mostly irrelevant.

This is a really tough decision because I know the the hardware of the 58u is "lower end".. at least in terms of the SoC CPU/2.4G radio, but its more "future proof" especially if I ever decide to mesh a better router like the AX86U coming out. You can make the argument that current AX hardware isn't future proof at all but 2.4gbps 5ghz will still be valid down the line imo. No company will backtrack what already exist, but it can be improved on.

China markets have the superior TUF gaming AX3000 selling for $140 typical sale which is more in line with my understanding of the hardware and price points. That model is the basically 58u, but has upgraded amplifiers for the SoC chip and the other special but potentially irrelevant to me, but at least theres actual "features".. I view the 58u as more of a $120 USD MSRP product, where the GT-AC2900 is more in line with the $170 I paid when it comes to range/feature-set, 5G 3x3/4x4 support.. ahh..

If the 58u had actual 4x4 support (hardware seems capable and has 4x 5g amplifiers via PCB pics), this would be more logical (price wise) and I would 100% keep the 58u.

If ASUS called it a AX-5400 router.. it would likely dump higher end sales I guess? kinda lame but what can you do.

I did few tests with my RT-AC86U. Different apps and sites. All hit close to max ISP speed really fast. The delay I see is in different meters animation. Just to make things pretty. I don't see what the issue is.

I did few tests with my RT-AC86U. Different apps and sites. All hit close to max ISP speed really fast. The delay I see is in different meters animation. Just to make things pretty. I don't see what the issue is.

Both my routers will work fine until a point where the initial speed hitting 400 drops down to slower ramp up times but Im going to assume it has something to do with how the product communicates with the modem. Not sure why the 58u is more consistent, especially after simply unplugging a lan cable and not restarting the actual modem but I'm not going to worry about it if they both do the same thing albeit different consistency.

My struggle right now is figuring out which router to keep. Both products seem good and have their own advantages. Might be more logical to keep the GT2900 now, but if I ever wanna upgrade my main router, the 58u seems like a better idea for AX mesh Id assume..

Wish there was release/pricing information on the AX86u. the only thing we have now is a product page, but if the price is around $250, id consider that a worthy upgrade considering it has the specs of a AX88u, minus a 4x4 radio in exchange for a newer 3x3 on the 2.4g. Add's a 2.5G port and double USB 3.0. BCM4908 and 1GB RAM standard..

Likely going to keep the GT-2900. I liked the 58u, but I think its a little overpriced right now just based on range/feature set/cheaper hardware.

58u is more stable on 160mhz, but the GT-2900 just offers more options for me including more general range in 80mhz mode.

Unless theres a router priced at 170 USD shipped thats cheaper and offers more for my needs, I think its currently the best choice. I'll prob end up just selling it down the road if something more complete comes out.

Likely going to keep the GT-2900.

Are you interested in Merlin firmware features? GT routers are not supported. AX58U is supported. Are you interested in high-speed VPN on the router? AC86U and AX88U offer the best performance. Both have hardware AES, 200Mbps+ with OpenVPN. Both with Merlin support. Choose wisely based on your needs.

I'm interested but not a selling point for me really. I kinda already knew that would be the case buying a ROG router.

I like the 58u, but the AC range is kinda lame (Both 80-160mhz). Not saying the GT-2900 is any better in 160mhz, but at least I have the option to swap to 80mhz for an extra 100mbps across my house. (I believe 160mhz limits GT2900 down to 2x2 mode since my old macbook also drop from 450mbps to 300mbps).

I would be interested in the AX88u, but everyone is buying routers now and I'd be more comfortable paying closer to 300 USD (xmas price). $350 is just pushing it too much, but the Range seems EXCELLENT on that model and comparable to last gen products while not bottlenecking anything really.

Thats why I have hopes in the AX86U https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AX86U/

Its basically the AX88u, but has 2.5G port, 2x USB3.0 on the back instead of separated 2.0/3.0 on 88U. and the 2.4G attenna replaced with a weaker but new 3x3 model. On paper.. this is everything I could ask for, but if its 300 bucks, then I think I'm better off keeping the GT2900 for now for a few years and selling it off later.

Would 100% be willing to pay around $250 if it was stocked in the next couple weeks though lol. I'd assume this model will sell closer to $300 since Chinese sites have the original price listed for 1999 yuan or 280 USD. (shop sale price is obviously even lower, but doesn't really reflect msrp).

Edit: Now that I think about it, that pricing makes sense.. 58U is somehow 180 USD MSRP in the USA. AX88U is 350 MSRP.. I guess they have to fit it in the middle somehow.

I tried a qualcomm based router today. Much superior and consistent radios and prob CPU. Too bad the specific model I tried had range that dropped off like a brick past 20 ft...

I bet the ASUS AX89x is insanely good, too bad the price is also "insane".

@jsz :)

So, superior yet not able to leave the room. Interesting. :)

@jsz :)

So, superior yet not able to leave the room. Interesting. :)

The radios are more consistent speeds (while close) but the internal antenna design of said router is kinda well bad...

I'd like to try a higher end design out, but its hard to find something that isn't just dated. R7800/XR450/500 seem to be the only options but they're AC routers and have worse range than the 86u rebrand I'm testing.

Ended up returning the GT-AC2900 and 58U. Both had too many pros and cons to my overall goals of a router.

AX86U seems like the compromise so far, though the 8x8 + 4x4 qualcomm stuff looks really good, just pricey...

Superior price for a dual-band router. The eight legs can't synchronize on this one. :D

Its dual band but it has a 8x8 5ghz and 4x4 2.4g channel. The performance should be similar to a AX11000 (4x4, 4x4, 4x4) triband router in terms of MIMO devices. Will also benefit from multiple 3x3 connected clients since the radio will saturate streams better.. not to mention range.

The only problem is price. I really don't want to spend over $250 for a router.

Picked up a Netgear XR450... I feel like I overpaid ($160), but the throughput is insane and is better than even the 58U in my furthest room in terms of overall speeds on AX. Getting 400-450 30+ feet away from the router.. It also runs a full 4x4 radio config unlike the GT-2900(86u) with 160mhz enabled.. (macbook is detecting full 3x3 and speeds also show for it) Kinda nuts. Everything seems stable, though its only been a week.

I'm missing the ASUS GUI and features but this seems like the best compromise so far.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!