What's new

Question about AiMesh Router in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

corgi

Occasional Visitor
Couldn't find a direct answer here and the ASUS support page only generically answered how to switch the operation mode. I have 2 AC3500, this setup would add a 3rd AC3500.

Q: Is it possible to setup three routers in this fashion Ai Mesh Router/Wireless Router Mode (default) -----> Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode -----> AiMesh Node ?

The idea is to get a stronger 5ghz channel across the household. Does this mean I need to add both AiMesh Router in AP mode and the AiMesh Node as AiMesh nodes under the configuration? Or just the furthest AiMesh Node?

Does the AiMesh Router in AP mode automatically take the configuration from the main router like a normal AiMesh node would or do I need to configure that manually as a AP router (aka, whats the significance of them calling the AP router "AiMesh Router in AP mode"?

Will the AiMesh node use the 3rd tri-band 5ghz band as backhaul automatically in this case with the AP router? There's no way I can get a backhaul via eithernet where the 3rd router would be without using powerline which which is extremely degraded at this distance (tested).

Or would it be better to just use AiMesh nodes for all three routers?

Last edited:
Couldn't find a direct answer here and the ASUS support page only generically answered how to switch the operation mode. I have 2 AC3500, this setup would add a 3rd AC3500.

Q: Is it possible to setup three routers in this fashion Ai Mesh Router/Wireless Router Mode (default) -----> Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode -----> AiMesh Node ?

The idea is to get a stronger 5ghz channel across the household. Does this mean I need to add both AiMesh Router in AP mode and the AiMesh Node as AiMesh nodes under the configuration? Or just the furthest AiMesh Node?

Does the AiMesh Router in AP mode automatically take the configuration from the main router like a normal AiMesh node would or do I need to configure that manually as a AP router (aka, whats the significance of them calling the AP router "AiMesh Router in AP mode"?

Will the AiMesh node use the 3rd tri-band 5ghz band as backhaul automatically in this case with the AP router? There's no way I can get a backhaul via eithernet where the 3rd router would be without using powerline which which is extremely degraded at this distance (tested).

Or would it be better to just use AiMesh nodes for all three routers?

If your goal is to extend WiFi coverage, setup one router as the router and add the others as wired or wireless AiMesh nodes. You can daisy chain nodes, but I have not tried it.

OE

For AiMesh, only one router can act as the primary controlling router. Any others need to act as nodes. ASUS routers also have a main/AP method of operation that is different from AiMesh. I don't think that the two methods can be intermixed. However, if you are able to run an ethernet cable between your controlling AiMesh router and any nodes for backhaul, that is better than using wifi for backhaul.