What's new

Question about guest network setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amoney

Regular Contributor
So i am running into an interesting issue. I switched from Comcast to Sail Internent. Now i no longer have a modem and my router is directly connected via ethernet to a cat 5 cable that the house is pre wired with.

After i switched i noticed my connection would intermittently keep getting reset. Sail Internet support debugged this on their end and stated that there is a mac address that is different than what is approved which is asking for a IP and thus causing the connection to be reset. The mac address in question happens to be the mac address of the bridge setup for the guest network.

What i noticed is that if i disable intranet access then the guest network gets its own bridge and when i dont it does not. So i was curious if this logic of when a new bridge is setup vs not specific to merlin code base or would the stock asus router behave the same?

Apparently sail interent logs show that a mac address that is not approved is trying to get access to exernal ip and thus causes connection reset. For now i an enabling intranet access so i can confirm that guest network bridge is the root cause.

So i was curious if this is stock asus behavior then this is some thing the ISP needs to handle or if this is merlin specific code that would be doing this. I am not even sure if i am using the right technical terms here :).

Router: RT-AC88U, 386.2_2
AirMesh Node: RT-AC68U, 3.0.0.4.386_41634-g08f88ae

Last edited:
So update from more testing over night.

Once i enabled intrranet access to guest network i no longer saw disconnect from my ISP.

Then i also saw info in this post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/question-on-guests-network-ip-range-on-ax86.70915/ where it talked about guest network 1 behaves differently. So i tried this out. So now when i use guest network 2 and disable intranet access i no longer get another bridge network. So i think using the 2nd guest network slot with yazfi will be potential solution. I need to let this run for a bit to confirm i no longer get connection reset from ISP.

What i wanted to confirm was guest network slot 1 getting its own bridge (br1, br2 when i run ifconfig) is something specific to asus firmware and not merlin? Either way i will let Sail Internet know and hopefully they can come up with a solution on their end where folks can use #1 guest slot so they can leverage airmesh as well