What's new

Question about Orbi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jose C

Occasional Visitor
I have been reading about velop and or I and my understanding is that orbi is not a true mesh system because "satellite" will always connect to the "router" unit and that the satellites don't talk between them, on the other hand velop nodes can talk to each other.

So my questions is (assuming I'm right with what i said above) in the following scenario will velop work better than orbi by the fact the nodes can extend the signal?

Two story house, all concrete and steel walls, Adsl comes in the center of the house on first floor, second floor get nothing-very weak wlan signal.

My idea is set one node next to the modem, another one by the stairs to second floor and then the other one in the second floor.

If the second floor node can talk to the one in the stairs it will be fine but if the second floor node can only talk to router on first floor it will get almost no signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct that an Orbi satellite will connect only to the Orbi router. But a two "hop" connection (each mesh node = 1 hop) can yield very low throughput.

The main advantage the original Orbi (RBK50) has over all other distributed Wi-Fi / mesh systems is a dedicated 5 GHz 4x4 backhaul. Even though it is 5 GHz, the backhaul is very well designed and could provide higher throughput with a single hop than the two-hop connection you propose.

The only way to know is to try it.