What's new

Question about PoE switches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

svt11

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have installed couple switches from Engenius - EGS2108P which got 4 PoE ports with total 62W - 15.5W per port. So I'm having this problem - I have 4 EWS310AP connected to it and another one connected and having power source directly from an adapter. I see when there are connected many clients or I'm downloading with max speed from ISP - 82mbits the AP disconnects me and it gets offline and not only this AP. Distributor said that problem is with poe provided power per port. So EGS 2108P switch is capable of providing 15.5W per port and it's not PoE+ enabled as I see. So I see PoE+ enabled switches which are providing 370W for 24 ports which must be 15.4W per ports maximum??? Or the power distributed to every port will be on demand? Am I right or not? PoE+ switch will deliver up to 25.5W per port on demand? Thank you.

It depends on the switch itself. Some switches can supply more than 15W per port (if its 60W with 4 ports, they could put all 60W to 1 port and 0W on others).

It really sounds like you dont have enough power for the AP during loads. Do a LAN test to see if that is the problem or if the problem is elsewhere.

Read some of the reference material on the site listed below. I have found it to be useful and practical in its application.

I have purchased several POE items from them and they have all worked out well.

www.wifi-texas.com

Yes, I see on EWS2978P controller max power output per port can be 31W and on EGS2108P 16W. I try with changing the settings with user-defined power output of 16W and it doesn't work. With LAN test with laptop directly to the switch it provides me 11MB/s download. But, I have switch Linksys SRW224P and it has 15.4W per port output and currently there are 3 connected APs on it. I can't see and problems currently with it while doing the same test. Maybe there was problem with the third AP which is connected with female to female jack with another cable. I'm going to do some tests again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!