What's new

Question About RT-RC88U Log File

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kc27

Occasional Visitor
I purchased a used RT-RC88U router and am running firmware version:3.0.0.4.380_3941 The log file contains some entries from the previous user. Can anyone interpret what the July 31 and August 1 log file entries mean? It looks like the router has been flashed, or some other non-typical stuff done to it, and I wonder if I should be returning the router. Maybe it was just nothing more than a firmware update? I've only had it up and running for less than a day, and for what it is worth, it seems OK to me.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this

Log is here

I sent the log to Asus and got no useful information, other than the advice to return the router if the log file makes me uncomfortable. Here are my questions: What does the log file indicate? Is there a way for me to ensure the router is stock and not modified in some way?

That's just general kernel level boot logging. Explaining these would fill up a book...

If you have doubts about the firmware version, feel free to download and flash the latest version available on Asus's website. But based on this log, this is the stock Asus firmware, compiled by them back in August 2016.

Can anyone interpret what the July 31 and August 1 log file entries mean?
That's normal. The router doesn't have a battery backed clock, so every time it starts up it reverts to its default date and time which is 00:00 on 1st August. Some of the entries are adjusted by -5 hours (19:00 31st July) because of your time zone.

Later in the boot process, when it has connected to the internet, it changes the date and time to the correct values.