What's new

Question about Smart Connect (on AC5300) and issues with one client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ionblue

Occasional Visitor
I finally upgraded my R66U router and stuck with Asus. I didn't initially update to Merlin, but did that after a day or 2 and everything seemed fine. I didn't reset to factory though.

I also decided to try the Smart Connect thing so I wouldn't have to decide which band to connect to. That also seemed to work great, with the exception of one client - a TCL Roku TV. On the old router it connected to the 5G band with no problems, however with the Smart Connect active it couldn't connect at all.

I could see it pop up on the router and sometimes get an IP assigned (or so the router thought), but it couldn't lock on. It was always popping up on one of the 5G bands. I ended up turning Smart Connect off and it connected instantly so that's where I left things.

Is this a common occurrence with Smart Connect and certain clients? Any workaround other than not using it? Really doesn't matter since everything works now, but I'm curious about it nonetheless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the problem of my Amazon Echo not connecting with Smart Connect ON. Turned it off and every connects. I stopped using it after that.

BTW, I named all my radios the same name. I let each client select what to connect to. Have never had any problems this way.

BTW, I named all my radios the same name. I let each client select what to connect to. Have never had any problems this way.

I just tried this and it didn't work out so well. Everything wanted to connect to the 2.4 band since it's stronger I guess. Certainly can't have that when my workstation connects at 1.3Gbps when on a 5G band.

I was finally able to get this working with a single SSID after I happened across a few other posts about the Smart Connect rules. I had to try a few combinations to see if they would work and so far so good. Everything is spreading out like I would expect and my Roku TV can now connect as well.

I've attached my settings in case anyone else has this issue and want to try them.

smart-connect-rules.png