What's new

Question about TUF GAMING AX5400 and MerlinFirmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BazimCZ

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I have a TUF-AX5400 and I joust found out that this Merlin firmware can be installed on that router.

I was looking on the internet, but I cannot find exactly the answers for my questions.

Why I want try a different firmware than the stock one? My router has only 20% RAM left even after restart and that seemes to me like not so much. Sometimes the CPU goes to 80-100% usage and my internet collapses (I have 1Gbps connection).

Can this firmware help me with that? Like is it more lightweight than the stock one?

And if I flash it. Will the settings stays? Mostly the port forwarding rules, because I need them (for discord server, ftp servers, web servers etc...).

Thank you very much and sorry for the questions.

What version are you using? The newest Asus 3.0.0.4.388.21224? I find the Asus 3.0.0.4.386.50224 more stable (and maybe lighter). The most recent stable for Merlin is also 386 based, so it could help.

Settings should stick, but I usually do a hard reset after switching firmwares. So your mileage may vary.

Are you using AiProtection? That tends to significantly increase RAM usage. The high CPU usage seems weird to me. Are you using VPN features?

I am at the latest 388. AiProtection is ON what I am seeing in the router menu.

VPN features I don't use.

Try downgrading to 386 (Asus or Merlin). I think 388 needs a bit more time in the oven :)

The baseline RAM usage for this unit is 57-58%. Adding AiProtection usually adds another 10-12%, plus additional odds and ends, I can see the 80% usage.

From rebooting to internet collapse, how long it takes? Hours, days, weeks?

Yes I am at 80% like 24/7.

And I cannot say that, but for example yesterday. My internet went dont. So I contacted my ISP and ask if they have some issues. Their technician check that and told me that on their side everything is allright. I looked in my router menu and I saw that the cpu usage was bumping to the limits like 100% one core, 60% second core, 70% third core .. and it was jumping like hell even the internet was not working (no websites, no pings)...

Or was it attack because I have one small game server and one webserver?

As you mentioned the AiProtection I check it right now and I see this (it is in mine language, but you know the UI ofcourse):
1669057759278.png

I am worried about the IPS. It is really helping or should I turn this off to get more RAM free and maybe more stable connection?
1669057807359.png

My lord, that's a very active log! Maybe it was the attack.

You may need a more robust network solution... but (maybe?) try Gnuton's Merlin and see what happens.

Good luck!

So should I let it on the AiProtection or is it only like placebo and only eating ram even when this is in the logs?

If I flash the Merlin what can I expect? If like somebody says everything is in the same but more features? It will not eat even more ram then? Btw.: thank you very much for your support. You are being very helpful to me.

When I click that it says that I have port forwarding on and not so much strong WIFI password. It is like recommendations. Adn that the UPNP is disabled. Nothing big I guess.

Red means Warning. Can you post a screenshot of this page? I believe you have Web Access from WAN open, looking at what AiProtection is showing blocked.

Up-to-you. If you don't need any of the Merlin features, Asus official probably makes more sense.

Up-to-you. If you don't need any of the Merlin features, Asus official probably makes more sense.
To be clear I don't find any list of new features of merlins (so IDK), but I was just hoping that it is some lightweight version of the stock one. So I think I will download the stock one. Thank you for help.

Oh thank you very much. There are some performance fixes too. Maybe I try that instead of the stock one. I hope I wont loose my settings.

So I flash a firmware 386.07_2-gnuton1 and I am 10% ram usage less. I am at 70 - 72%.

I have a qeustion after flash this firmware after the stock 388 one. Should I get a hard reset? If yes, why? Thank you guys.

I usually do - for both Asus and OpenWrt stuff.

Why? Sometimes things don't transfer as neatly as they should... It's rare, but super annoying when it happens. Plus, I value stability over all else.

Give the 'dirty downgrade' a try. If it behaves, no need for a hard reset.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!