What's new

Question about upgrading router, for you pro's.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloyd1173

At&t is offering 2 gig fiber in my area, at the moment I have 1 gig with another local provider, GigabitNow (Sifi Networks)

If I decide to go witht he At&t 2 gig option, would I need to upgrade my RT-AX86U for a newier model?

I know I would need to put the At&t router they give in pass thru/bridge mode, so I could use the my own router, I know that the dumb switch method does not really work with the new at&t routers.

What recommendations would you give for a new Asus router?

Thanks in advance.

If you want that new 2Gbps service available to wired clients in your network, then the GT-AX6000 is needed/recommended.

If you only want (up to) that 2Ggps service available to wireless clients, you can continue using the RT-AX86U.

Thank you so much for your Reply, L&LD.

Could also wait for AX88U PRO or TUF-AX6000, but the GT-AX6000 will have better sales since it's a year older.

All 3 AX6000 models are dual 2.5G + 4x 1G Switch.

• AX88U PRO only has 1 USB 3.0 port, 1GB RAM.
  • TUF-AX6000 is 1 3.0 USB port and 512MB RAM
  • GT-AX6000 is 1 3.0 USB, 1 2.0 USB and 1GB RAM. $329 MSRP, $289.99 sale on amazon.

Alternatively GT-AX11000 PRO ($450 USD) for a triband solution. (2.5 + 10G ports).

YMMV if the newer units perform better for 5G range than your previous AX86U. Seems to go either way based on subjective environmental factors/EMI.

Last edited by a moderator:
i went from 1g to 2gig and TBH i noticed no difference to any device. Even a few games the latency/downloads etc nothing to justify the extra money. So now i downgraded to 1gig and its all good. Sometimes you need to ask what is my purpose for higher speeds most house need much less speed than they think.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!