What's new

Question [Block Box - Hand Crafted Router]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

x5qubits

New Around Here
Hello all,

Firstly I want to add that I can't find any introduction and question section around here so i will just post here.

About me:
Perfectionist and self-motivated full stack developer who likes challenges and learning new things, with hands on experience in software development. I assert that my love is for Cool (C#) but, I am versed in many other languages as well.

My favorite quote:
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Nice to meet you all!

My question:
So I made this new device "Block Box" that at base is a mini computer, but it has so many functions and a unique admin interface (I made it), that you can't call it a router. My question is where I can post such device, to ask for opinions/suggestions/show pictures and if possible post website link.

Thank you so much!

PS . To the @Amins/@Mods this is not an attempt to spam, I am new so be kind<3.

Show us the interface! :)

Tell us the features! :)

What benefits at what cost? ;)

Show us the interface! :)

Tell us the features! :)

What benefits at what cost? ;)

Hello :)
I don't have any recent videos but i can take a few screens:

You can see some images here.
Note 1: Case will be 3d printed in a near future after launch and everyone that brought v1 will get it for free!
Note 2: The interface both in the videos and on website is pretty old the new one looks like this and still missing lot of features:
Screenshot-2019-12-17-Dashboard-Block-Box.png

Note 3: I will keep both version 1 and 3d printed one because i think is cool to have a hand crafted case in your home.

The launching features will be:
  • Tor Client
  • VPN Server
  • NAS (File Server)
  • Torrent (Seed Box) and tracker support.
  • Media Server
  • Adblock (premium)
  • Web Server (apache + php + mysql)
  • Device Manager
I am planing to add a lot more features soon :)

You can find full specifications here.

The box contains the following items:
  • RJ45 TP-Link Gigabit ue300
  • Raspberry pi 4 B (Or Latest)
  • 1x Usb 3.0
  • 1x Usb 2.0
  • 2x RJ45
  • 3 A Original Power Supply Unit
  • 16 GB class 11 UHS-1
  • Hardware Button
  • 5mm RGB LED
  • 2x resistors
  • Raspberry pi aluminum case Heatsink
  • The PVC Box / Printed Model (CASE)
  • You can get your name engraved on the box
  • Warranty for each component separately as they provide one.
  • Block Box Software
  • All above are assembled already and ready to go.
Don't be fool by the Raspberry pi 4 capability! With the right tools and a software IO Load balancing it can be quite powerful for all the above functionality!

Price
The Box starts from 150 euro + shipping you can see how much it costs here : https://www.blockbox.jhsoftware.pro/order-block-box. I plan to make only the software available for download in the future.

Thank you so much for asking! If you have any questions or concerns please let me know.

Best Regards,
Johnny

Last edited:
This looks great so far and I wish you success.

The RAM I would want seems to be available here, as a minimum, but the ports, WiFi and processing power are very low (particularly for NAS use) even over something like an RT-AX88U.

If this gives stability and ease of setup, it looks like a winner for a lot of users. :)

I'll certainly be looking at future versions of this project for myself!

I would like to see a video of setting it up and the benefits and performance it offers vs. a standard 'wireless router'.

Thank you so much, you don't know how much your words means for me!

I updated the post with the price in case you didn't go to the website configuration.
PS. I been using a raspberry pi3 b+ for over a year and constantly improving my IO program. The the SMB file server dose not consume to much ram, even when I am transferring 4k movies from my pc to (REMOTE USB DRIVE). Beside my IO load balancing program i wrote one that acts like .NET garbage collector so if the ram gets near the edge that program will automatically force application to dump the ram they don't need, in conclusion my 1GB ram RPI 3 can handle this VERY WELL.

Setup ?
1) blockblox.local -> Guide ->Next, Next and Finish
2) Install the application software -> Guide ->Next, Next and Finish (Multi Platform)

The extra features like nas and web server will be default off you can start them and configure them on their dedicated page.

<3 Videos need a bit but for sure i will post a lot of them.

The RAM I would want seems to be available here, as a minimum, but the ports, WiFi and processing power are very low (particularly for NAS use) even over something like an RT-AX88U.
It's a Raspberry Pi 4 so while good for many things, obviously not as powerful as a dedicated platform (or PC based).

While I use many Raspberry Pis, I personally don't like these kits. I have specific cases or make my own. Offering the software on its own would be of more interest......potentially. (not that I've actually looked at the videos etc, just going from the kit package list.)
Don't be fool by the Raspberry pi 4 capability! With the right tools and a software IO Load balancing it can be quit powerful for all the above functionality!
Definitely. Good luck with your project.

Thank you so much for your input @dosborne and please Excuse my typos not a native English speaker! I do have a more powerful platform in mind that can be considered dedicated but that would mean way higher costs... what I am trying to provide is a way to have all those features combined into a single device and they would work perfect in a home/micro company environment .

I have to say, I was a little shocked at the price! :)

But in the end, it depends on the performance it gives.

Is it possible to send @thiggins a review unit to put through his testing (if he has time, of course)?

there is no such thing as a full stack developer, its what we call ourselves to employers/managers who are idiots and know nothing about software developers, true fact btw because in software development, you want a focused team not someone whos all over the place.

You can post it in tech forums and invite online media to take a look, theres also youtube as well.

It's a Raspberry Pi 4 so while good for many things, obviously not as powerful as a dedicated platform (or PC based).

While I use many Raspberry Pis, I personally don't like these kits. I have specific cases or make my own. Offering the software on its own would be of more interest......potentially. (not that I've actually looked at the videos etc, just going from the kit package list.)

Definitely. Good luck with your project.
but decently powerful enough, considering we started hitting 500Mb/s NAT using broadcom's hackish solution with dual core ARM A9s. Raspberry pi 2 uses 4 ARM A7s at a slower clock, but the raspberry pi 4 uses a SOC faster than the A15 and mikrotik uses quad core ARM A15 now inexpensively and it gets them 1Gb/s NAT without hardware acceleration. I know clockspeeds are important too but in this case they're pretty close in comparison.

there is no such thing as a full stack developer, its what we call ourselves to employers/managers who are idiots and know nothing about software developers, true fact btw because in software development, you want a focused team not someone whos all over the place.

You can post it in tech forums and invite online media to take a look, theres also youtube as well.
Well on the subject of Full Stack Developer we can argue a lot, in my opinion there are those who can do only backed or front end but, then there are those who can do both like me... I think from here the urge of new title ;)

but decently powerful enough, considering we started hitting 500Mb/s NAT using broadcom's hackish solution with dual core ARM A9s. Raspberry pi 2 uses 4 ARM A7s at a slower clock, but the raspberry pi 4 uses a SOC faster than the A15 and mikrotik uses quad core ARM A15 now inexpensively and it gets them 1Gb/s NAT without hardware acceleration. I know clockspeeds are important too but in this case they're pretty close in comparison.

I never used a RPI 2 but i can tell you my RPI 3 is pretty powerful as i used it for over one year now to do all sort of development and it has been my router too!

Thank you very much for your comments!

Well on the subject of Full Stack Developer we can argue a lot, in my opinion there are those who can do only backed or front end but, then there are those who can do both like me... I think from here the urge of new title ;)

Thank you very much for your comments!
We can do any of the stack, but in a normal team or project, you dont want one developer handling everything as it is better to distribute the stack.