What's new

[Question] "Normal" operating temperature.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unsynaps

I was just wondering what the "normal" (non overclocked) temp of these routers (specifically RT-AC87R) is?

Pretty much idle in ambiant temp less than 70 °F (next to a window that has a nasty draft):
23:49:37 up 13:49, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.06
Current Temperatures: 113 °F - 129 °F - 162 °F

what temp ? CPU? 2,4 or 5GHz radio ?
113F is 45C so i think that You write about 2,4GHz radio temp ?

I have two AC68Us, both ran at 80°C. I have since strapped 120mm fans to the back of each of them. The operating temperature under load now sits more comfortably at 62°C.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I was just wondering what the "normal" (non overclocked) temp of these routers (specifically RT-AC87R) is?
Anything below boiling water is good to go: <212° F - and the chips are even certified up to 248° F! :rolleyes:

So: No need for worries here! :eek:

PS.: My overclocke and running constant 100% CPU load AC87U has currently for 2.4 GHz: 45°C / 113°F - 5 GHz: 62°C / 143°F - CPU: 83°C / 181°F

Last edited:
Current products have more powerful processors/radios than 1990 era products so of course they will run warmer.

Ahh ok if the chip temps are cleared to run that high then I won't worry. Reason it raised an eyebrow is I was thinking of OC to 1200 to see if it did anything for my OpenVPN speeds.

Just seemed odd that my router CPU is running at a temp my nVidia Titan X runs at at full load.

Ill look into getting one of those USB powered 'laptop' coolers for it just to move some air over the thing.

Anything below boiling water is good to go: <212° F - and the chips are even certified up to 248° F! :rolleyes:

So: No need for worries here! :eek:

PS.: My overclocke and running constant 100% CPU load AC87U has currently for 2.4 GHz: 45°C / 113°F - 5 GHz: 62°C / 143°F - CPU: 83°C / 181°F

While I mostly agree with what you wrote, you also need to take into consideration the other components around the chips (resistors, capacitors, etc), which may not be able to keep up with that heat. I mention this because I lost one mobo in the summer when running the CPU at full speed the whole day/night long each day/night (was running BOINC on that computer). A resistor burned out and filled my apartment with the smell of burnt electronics.

I don't know what kind of stuff is used inside routers to tell if the above incident also applies to them, but I haven't seen many reports of such incidents related to routers. That can be due to different reasons I'm not willing to start a discussion on. Anyways, what I'm saying is that having enough cooling is never a bad thing

Pretty much idle in ambiant temp less than 70 °F (next to a window that has a nasty draft):
23:49:37 up 13:49, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.06
Current Temperatures: 113 °F - 129 °F - 162 °F

Just wonder if Asus should just pull those stats, as it gives a lot of folks concern...

Asus isn't going to ship a device that self-immolates under load - at least I trust them not to..

Those chips run a bit warm, but that's ok, they're designed to, otherwise they wouldn't.

Just wonder if Asus should just pull those stats, as it gives a lot of folks concern...

Asus doesn't display them. I do.

Asus doesn't display them. I do.

Maybe keep the shell scripts, but remove from the WebUI - for the most part, temps are going to be within acceptable ranges - even if one were to push the cores hard (for example - openssl speed -multi 4), things should be just fine.

The thermal solution for the RT-AC series is pretty good, all things said...

Maybe keep the shell scripts, but remove from the WebUI

There's no shell scripts involved. CPU temperature comes from the kernel's DMU interface, and the SoC temperature is retrieved through the wl user client.

Asus isn't going to ship a device that self-immolates under load - at least I trust them not to..

Those chips run a bit warm, but that's ok, they're designed to, otherwise they wouldn't.
It is nice to have them when you start overclocking things.

If you're worried about temperature, one option is to turn off one of the radios (if possible). Nothing in my home requires 5GHz, so I turned off the 5GHz radio and the CPU temperature dropped from 80C to 75C, giving me quite a bit more headroom.

There's no shell scripts involved. CPU temperature comes from the kernel's DMU interface, and the SoC temperature is retrieved through the wl user client.

True - but wipe if from the WebGUI - and drop in a shell script to read the values - most folks that want to tweak/overclock will find that useful, but otherwise, it just raises some folks stress levels over something they really don't need to worry about.

True - but wipe if from the WebGUI - and drop in a shell script to read the values - most folks that want to tweak/overclock will find that useful, but otherwise, it just raises some folks stress levels over something they really don't need to worry about.

And if I remove it, I'll get flooded with requests to put it back.

So no, it's there to stay.

I think you're overthinking it. Most users who install Merlin are going to be the tech types who will quickly Google the answer if they are at all concerned about the temperatures they see. The rest? Most probably don't even notice anything to worry about.

And if I remove it, I'll get flooded with requests to put it back.

So no, it's there to stay.

Gosh - so many features in SW are related to things just like this - been there myself... and that ended up being a very expensive solution at the end of days...