What's new

Question on ad Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ktriebol

Occasional Visitor
Let's say I have a wireless network where my router is capable of ac wireless, and there are two devices on the network that are capable of ad wireless. When I go to transfer a file from device A to device B, will they automatically make a direct connection between each other at ad speeds, or will that transfer be managed through the router at ac speeds? We can assume that signal quality is top notch between router and both devices.

They will not get 802.11ad speeds unless there is an ad hoc connection between the 2 devices. If not, then the transfer between the 2 devices will be limited to the throughput of the WiFi radio on the router.

Beyond that, it would be cool if something could be implemented to allow for devices to do that, where 802.11ac can be used in a similar fashion to Bluetooth high speed if 2 clients that want to transfer files to each other, and are within range of each other for 802.11ad.

If devices have both 11ad and 11ac radios, you can form connections on both simultaneously, at least to a router / AP that has both flavors of radios. You may even be able to form direct connections between two ac/ad devices using Wi-Fi Direct.

I don't know what happens in a file transfer when both connections are active. There is is similar situation when you have a device simultaneously connected via Ethernet and Wi-Fi. I don't know how Windows chooses between the two.

If I recall - QCA's drivers on their cards merge the two - so 802.11ad is opportunistic on the client - if it's there, it'll use it, otherwise fall back to 11ac/11n...

Well, I was hoping that two ad clients would be able to make a direct ad connection without any special bother and despite both of them being connected to an ac router. I was thinking that might be written into the ad protocol. Direct connection capability would seem to be especially important due to the short range limitation of 60Ghz, so as not to have to add the router to the equation. Oh well, if I have to buy an ad router, that's what I'll do when the time comes. That gives me an excuse to buy another new router anyway.

Last edited:
11ad does just that - so if provisioned, when they see each other, they'll associate and attach.

11ad does just that - so if provisioned, when they see each other, they'll associate and attach.

This is good news. I am planning to keep ad wireless capability in mind when buying new devices. Qualcomm has announced that their new Snapdragon 835 will have ad, and we will see that chip in flagship phones this year. Ad should become somewhat commonplace in laptops this year too.

so if provisioned, when they see each other, they'll associate and attach.
Please explain what you mean by "provisioned". AD sets up same as WiFi. You select an SSID, enter the WPA2 key and connect.

Please explain what you mean by "provisioned". AD sets up same as WiFi. You select an SSID, enter the WPA2 key and connect.

Exactly - as long as the association profile is present, it should be fine - if I recall, this was pointed out in one of the reviews that was using the newer QCA drivers...

Exactly - as long as the association profile is present, it should be fine - if I recall, this was pointed out in one of the reviews that was using the newer QCA drivers...
Just wanted to be sure you weren't seeing some hidden feature I hadn't seen.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!