What's new

Question on Merlin firmware and ASUS firmware when setting up AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GHog

Regular Contributor
I currently use a RT-AC68U router with Merlin firmware 384.15. I just purchased and waiting for it to arrive, a ASUS RP-AC1900 extender/repeater. I suspect it might come with the November firmware, but will see when it arrives. For now I and going to setup using the wireless method until i can get some more hardware to finish wiring the house so I can switch to a Ethernet AiMesh setup. Will I have any issues using my router with Merlin firmware and a extender using ASUS firmware? Also any suggestions on setup will be helpful if someone out there has setup a AiMesh using these components. Be safe out there and thanks for any assistance and recommendations.

So after learning more about this RP-AC1900 Reapter/Extender, I noticed that the firmware used with this device and my RT-AC68U back on 11_26_19 was the same. With that said would it be worth a try to upload the Merlin firmware into the new Repeater/Extender when I receive it. Since ASUS firmware is cross product compatible with the wifi routers, it looks like for this Repeater/Extender it could be safe to flash with Merlin. This Repeater/Extender is not the AC1900 wifi router I see mentioned here alot, but that does not mean that the guts might be the same. So question is does anyone out think this is a good idea.

Since ASUS firmware is cross product compatible with the wifi routers

It's not. The firmware must be compiled for the specific model on which it's going to run. It's not a one-size-fit-all. At compile time the selected model will generate vastly different code between models.

It's not. The firmware must be compiled for the specific model on which it's going to run. It's not a one-size-fit-all. At compile time the selected model will generate vastly different code between models.
I just found that although they have different shapes, but they use the same firmware after 3.0.0.4.384.81351, and the md5 hash is exactly the same. maybe 68u merlin firmware supports it, just like 66u_b1, I'm not sure.
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RP-AC1900/HelpDesk_Download/
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

Thanks for the feedback. I will just make sure the repeater/extender has the latest firmware and then follow mesh setup. If everything works well, then I`m golden. I am hoping that the firmware's work together well and i do not have to change from Merlin to ASUS for my RT-AC68U . Merlin firmware has less bugs than ASUS so I want to continue using it. If they don`t play well, I might be an idiot and see if the RT-AC68U firmware will load into the repeater/extender and work. Hope I don`t brick it. Will post a follow up on my adventure later this week.

I just found that although they have different shapes, but they use the same firmware after 3.0.0.4.384.81351, and the md5 hash is exactly the same. maybe 68u merlin firmware supports it, just like 66u_b1, I'm not sure.
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RP-AC1900/HelpDesk_Download/
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

That is quite odd since the RP-AC68U is Realtek-based.

In any case, even if it were Broadcom-based, it is not supported by me.

That is quite odd since the RP-AC68U is Realtek-based.

In any case, even if it were Broadcom-based, it is not supported by me.
RP-AC68U ≠ RP-AC1900, they are actually different. however, because RP-AC1900 is a new model, wikidevi has no information yet, but I believe it uses the BCM4708/4709 CPU.

BTW, I don't like this new shape, they are going backwards, not even as good as RP-AC68U.

This is RP-AC68U:
OdaHIQPCEMhD2la9_setting_fff_1_90_end_1000.png

This is RP-AC1900:
pZcewBIOcChbb2BC_setting_000_1_90_end_1000.png

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback. Lets hope my router and new repeater/extender play well. Definitely will only flash repeater/extender with ASUS firmware till i know what we are working with in case it needs to be returned. As for the repeater/extenders, I personally like the new one better for a few reasons.

1) antennas look removable and probably have the same connector as other ASUS products. With that said they can be upgrades to the RT-AC88u antennas which have higher gain.
2) adjustable antennas versus fixed in a box.
3) price point is lower with newer unit. Hard to find older unit and if you do the price has been ridiculous.
4) Being a realtek cpu, there could have been issues when using aimesh with ASUS broadcom products. there are a lot of interesting post online about the RP-AC68U repeater not meshing well.

So with that being said, we will see later today how the units play with each other and will report back. Will try looking in to vents on case to see if there is any easily identified parts. Hate to open up if unit does not work well. Maybe after a month or so of use and everything is working well, i will pop open case and look around.

So here is my update.
1) The mesh will setup when using my RT-AC68U with latest Merlin firmware and latest ASUS firmware for the RP-AC1900
2) mess works, but will not connect with 5ghz devices. Started tech support help with ASUS
3) did restore my RT-AC68U to latest ASUS firmware and re-setup mesh. Both devices using Asus firmware. Did not help 5ghz issue.
4) loaded Merlin firmware back onto RT-AC68U and then on the RP-AC1900. Both booted and I was able to setup mesh.
5) still have the 5ghz no connect issue, but the RP-AC1900 works just as well as the original ASUS firmware.

So with that a said. now i need to find out why RP-AC1900 will not connect with 5ghz devices. LAN ports work fine.

so final update on my adventure. As with a lot of ASUS products, they really are not clear on how they do stuff. What i found out was when you connect a mesh node to the router, the node uses the 5ghz radio. So all devices at the node will connect to the 2.4ghz radio. There is no way to change this. So if you need both radio channels then the only way to do this is with the backhaul connection method.
Since early on i was able to use that same Merlin firmware that I had installed on router, i am going to up date with Merlin firmware since mesh node functioned correctly and had no connection issues. It looks like the RP-AC1900 is a RT-AC68U in a plastic case.
No issues encountered while flashing mesh node with latest Merlin firmware.

Thanks for the help and stay healthy

@Gary Van Antwerp I don't know how you are determining this? Clients connect to both the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band on an AiMesh node on a 2x RT-AC86U setup. :)

according to the tech i talked too today, he said with the RT-AC68U and the RP-AC1900 that the mesh communication channel is 5ghz and that only leaves 2.4ghz free for devices to connect to the mesh node. Not sure how the mesh works on the RT-AC86U, but this what the guy said was happening on my setup. Wish he was wrong, but it acts like he is correct. Everything connects to the 2.4ghz but nothing to the 5ghz radio. My Iphone will actually switch from the 5ghz to the 2.4ghz band when in range of the mesh node. If the tech is wrong, then how do i get both bands to connect at the node end. He said the only way will be to backhaul the connection.

Using an RT-AC68U and an RP-AC1900 may be the 'issue'.

Sorry, I don't deal with repeaters as they have limited use otherwise.

After 24 hrs of messing around with this thing and figuring out that the tech i talked too did not have a clue on how this thing works, I do agree with you that the 5ghz should work. There are times when i am outside the house with my Iphone and it connects just fine and everything works as advertised. I did get feedback from ASUS tech support online and they had a totally different set of things to try. A couple of times while i had other devices both 5ghz and 2.4ghz, the node crashed. Currently i have Merlin firmware on the router and ASUS firmware on repeater. Works better I think.

For 5GHz connection issues:

1. Wireless -> General -> 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2 -> Select 'Legacy', 'N only' or 'N/AC mixed' in Wireless Mode
2. Change channel bandwidth to '40 MHz' (Wireless -> General -> Band = 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2)
3. Wireless -> Professional -> 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2 -> disable Explicit beamforming and Universal Beamforming
4. You may also check if the firmware is up to date for the both router and repeater.

So I will try these next plus play with the backhaul with a long Ethernet cable. Then i got to find ways to reduce my ram inbalance in the RT-AC68U with restoring to default and resetting it back up. Keep getting low on ram message

Final post on this issue. Finally made a 50' ethernet cable and ran the repeater to a black point on the property. The repeater would communicate with 2.4ghz but no connections with 5ghz. So back it goes as defective and will purchase a new AX router instead. Tired of fighting a poor product.