What's new

Question on my current router and possibly getting the new Asus 3100 please help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carlos Oliveira

New Around Here
So i currently have the optimum provided router which is the dlink DIR-866L. ROuter works decent, but i have 1 story house, with a basement. I have the router in the basement currently since my gaming etc all happens there. The router does reach upstairs in all part of the home, but a couple of spots, like kitchen corner or dining room seem to be dead zones where the wifi will not work, either it drops the wifi or ill stay connected and nothing will load.

Knowing this, i was thinking of upgrading to the Asus RT-3100. How much of a better router is this? Specifically how much better should the range and reliability between these two routers be?

If you locate it in the same spot (basement) it will probably work the same. Even if it works appreciably better, you'll have added an expense (the RT-AC3100) that you may not need to incur.

Why not explore different locations and antennae angles with the router you have now?

I would suggest moving the router to the main floor and slightly offset to one side of the main area(s) where you game downstairs.

You may save yourself some cash and get a little new years exercise too. :)

So i currently have the optimum provided router which is the dlink DIR-866L. ROuter works decent, but i have 1 story house, with a basement. I have the router in the basement currently since my gaming etc all happens there. The router does reach upstairs in all part of the home, but a couple of spots, like kitchen corner or dining room seem to be dead zones where the wifi will not work, either it drops the wifi or ill stay connected and nothing will load.

Knowing this, i was thinking of upgrading to the Asus RT-3100. How much of a better router is this? Specifically how much better should the range and reliability between these two routers be?

Instead of spending the money on buying a new router install or pay to have installed a couple of Ethernet runs so you can install one or two APs to cover the dead zones. Installing Ethernet in a home with a basement should be fairly simple.

I picked up the RT-AC3100 router last week in hopes of extending my wireless coverage beyond what my ISP-provided Hitron CGN3 manages. I have a ~3900 sqft (including basement), 2 story house. Asus claims 5400 sqft of coverage with the RT-AC3100. The router is in my basement, towards the front of the house (due to cable and cat5 demarcation). With the previous modem/router unit, I would get dropped 2.4 GHz connections (no 5 GHz coverage) on the second floor, towards the back of the house. The RT-AC3100 now provides a strong 2.4GHz connection (-50dBm), and a mediocre/poor 5 GHz connection (-65dBm or less) in that area. The 5 GHz connection is still not reliable at that distance.

I hope that gives you an idea of what coverage you can expect.