What's new

Question on Networked drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smallclone

Occasional Visitor
Hi, this is a question on a network drive. It is not a NAS drive (so apologies if this is in the wrong section).

I have an external hard drive that I need to place on my Network. It can't go in my router or my laptop unfortunately. My solution at the moment is to connect it via USB cable into a small media player which is NOT connected to a display, just a switch via CAT5. I can see it on my network fine. The problem is, it is not Gigabit connected. Therefore, larger files have a problem playing and it is a little slow.

Question is: Is there some sort of gigabit server device that I can be using instead of a media player that would do this job better?

Thanks

How about one of the single bay nas units ?
pretty simple to extract the drive from the case or just clone it onto a drive in the nas . Synology has a “xx-play” unit for media play purpose.
Otherwise, maybe a Raspberry Pi ?

Does the drive work adequately for that purpose when plugged into a pc on the lan ?

+1 for the raspberry pi option, for cost if you are relatively comfortable with the setup.

+1 for a "real" nas if you are serious and want 24/7 access plus a lot of other options, but I wouldn't waste time and money on a single bay unit. Minimum 2 bay.

How about one of the single bay nas units ?
pretty simple to extract the drive from the case or just clone it onto a drive in the nas . Synology has a “xx-play” unit for media play purpose.
Otherwise, maybe a Raspberry Pi ?

Does the drive work adequately for that purpose when plugged into a pc on the lan ?

Hi,

Yes drive works fine when in a laptop. I didn't realise R Pis were gigabit these days. Nice suggestion. Thanks