Question on router setup

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

sleeps1007

Occasional Visitor
Currently I have the RT-AC5300 and I was thinking of buying an AX router to setup AiMesh. If I set the AC5300 as the main and the AX connected via AiMesh would I be able to get AX speeds with my AX devices if connected to the AX AiMesh?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Not likely. The AX router should be the main to have AX capabilities within its range.

If you're creating a wired backhaul AiMesh setup, you have a choice to make the AX router an "Access Point (AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode", while still using the RT-AC5300 as the main. Giving you AX capabilities there too (within its range). If this also puts the RT-AX... (RT-AX88U or RT-AX86U highly recommended) in a central location, you may be able to turn off the radios of the main router too and have AX capabilities throughout the home (depending on size, construction type/materials, etc.).

sleeps1007

Occasional Visitor
Interesting so if I setup the AX as the main and set the AC in AiMesh mode I will get the AX compatibilities? Also, what are your thoughts on the AX92U?

Last edited:

L&LD

Part of the Furniture

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!