What's new

Question on setting up new MoCA adapters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikejs11

Occasional Visitor
I have Frontier Fios internet that comes in via ethernet cable. I do not have any kind of TV service (I just using streaming). Previously I had TV through Frontier, and at one point the internet came in via coax as well (before upgrading to the 500/500 speed I have now).

I am interested in possibly purchasing 3 of the goCoax adapters. I would place one by my main router to supply connection to the other devices. Another would be all the way on the other side of the house to supply connection to a Smart TV. The other device would be more central and would supply connection to a few devices and possibly a wireless AP.

Would I potentially need to purchase any other hardware to get this to work? Would all 3 adapters pair easily? Is it reasonable to have a wireless AP run off of a MoCA connection like this rather than ethernet (I don't have ethernet cables running to the location I want)? Any other issues with this setup?

Currently I have something similar going on (without the wireless AP) via AV2000 powerline, but I would prefer greater speed and lower latency.

if the cable that you want to use is physically isolated from the cable that the FIOS boxes are using, then all you may need to do is change out any splitters in that cabling to MOCA2 compatible and hook up one MOCA2 modem to the main router (Frontier's or yours) lan port via an ethernet cable. Install the other two MOCA2 modems and connect them via ethernet to whatever you need.

Make sure all unused splitter ports are capped with 75 ohm caps or use a splitter with fewer ports. If you cable plant is physically isolated from the world, then you wont need a moca blocking filter.
If it is still connected then, just connect a MOCA blocking filter between the line coming into the house and your splitter/amp input.

It may work without new splitters if the FIOS TV used MOCA2. If it used MOCA 1.1 then you may have to change them.

If your internal coax is connected in some way to Frontier or other provider (TV or otherwise) via a splitter or amp etc, then forget the above. Isolation makes it easiest.

Last edited:
I haven't had FIOS (or any other cable) TV in over a year, so it would not compete with any TV boxes. It sounds like there is a lot more that goes into this than setting up powerline...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!